Direct Mail using Microsoft Access

5 Replies

Are any of you all familiar with how people are using Microsoft Access as a way of saving property information and being able to filter their results for direct mail. All i can conclude is that one would build a large database of property owner information within access and then have the ability to filter that data for any direct mail campaign.

This is a strategy that Account Closed has touched on before in Podcast 37, but he uses SQL server.

My former partner had a very in depth access database with a GUI that did just about anything when it came to dealing with the marketing campaign. I've been contemplating hiring a database programmer to build something based on that concept, but I'd prefer it to be an online version.

Account Closed thanks for the quick turn-around. I've been collecting info on direct mail prospect in excel but its a pain in the "tookus" let's cal it to add to that data and then recall only certain line items that match the criteria i'd like to mail to.

Hopefully by tinkering around with access I'll be able to build a simple-yet-effective database.

A cloud-based CRM/Database would be ideal, huh? I like where you're going with this.

I'm certain the only reasons that Aaron uses SQL is that's well suited for cloud-based applications which makes for ease of use for multiple users.

Before migrating to InfusionSoft (CRM) I spend many years using both Access and contact management programs like Act! (Going all the way back to Q&A in the 1980's). I've found that it's easy to get off track trying to make the system work, look pretty, calculate correctly, print out correctly and still be able to search for a single record in real time during a lead call.

If all you're doing is mailing, you can probably get away with Excel files and add a code to your mail pieces for control purposes.

I've set up a number of DB's in Access, and must say that the most current version is not very user-friendly and I pretty much stopped using it.

I've watched another friend create elaborate list management and mailing programs in Access, however he's a programmer-type who'd rather spend time writing code than talking to prospects. Impressive, but not necessary.

If you're really a masochist, you can spend the money for InfusionSoft and hire a full-time programmer to set up your auto responders and such.

Google PHP/MySql. Free open source code out there to do pretty much anything. Hire some Indian programmers for 2 bucks an hour. Your up.

http://www.hotscripts.com/category/scripts/php/scripts-programs/mailing-list-managers/

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you