lease options

4 Replies

I am new to the lease option market and wanted to hear what other investors experiences were. Thank you

Hi Mary,

That is a broad question and I am not sure what you are asking in reference to using lease options.

As a landlord, i use leases and options to purchase for my tenants. It was worked great with the typical landlord/tenant issues. I have only had two options executed into purchases in 15 years of providing a tenant the option to buy. Most of the tenants will not follow thru with the lender. I get the tenant with a lender in the very beginning but it is usually not something they follow thru with.

@Johnna Lodge, do you have a set way you structure (ie- x down, x- towards principal, etc) or is every deal different?

Johnna, 

I would like more info on this also. Could you give us the #'s one one of these options?

This seems to be a way to get better tenants.

Thank You

Kevin

When the market was great, i would get $5K down or more non refundable towards principle. 

The higher the down payment the better it would be to close at an attorney's office (we close with attorneys in Georgia)/Escrow Agent ..

rent would be rent that was appropriate at the time for area and property

I would give $50 a month rent credit (you could give more also more if based on down payment)

And up the sales price $10K above market since they could not buy the property at today's value with 3 years to qualify and purchase.

House is worth $135K 

Lease Option $145K

4 bed 2 bath w basement rents for $1200

$50.00 equity credit (reduces the sales price if they cash out)

$5K down reduces the purchase price for perspective buyer and/or tenant

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here