lease options

4 Replies

I am new to the lease option market and wanted to hear what other investors experiences were. Thank you

Hi Mary,

That is a broad question and I am not sure what you are asking in reference to using lease options.

As a landlord, i use leases and options to purchase for my tenants. It was worked great with the typical landlord/tenant issues. I have only had two options executed into purchases in 15 years of providing a tenant the option to buy. Most of the tenants will not follow thru with the lender. I get the tenant with a lender in the very beginning but it is usually not something they follow thru with.

@Johnna Lodge, do you have a set way you structure (ie- x down, x- towards principal, etc) or is every deal different?

Johnna, 

I would like more info on this also. Could you give us the #'s one one of these options?

This seems to be a way to get better tenants.

Thank You

Kevin

When the market was great, i would get $5K down or more non refundable towards principle. 

The higher the down payment the better it would be to close at an attorney's office (we close with attorneys in Georgia)/Escrow Agent ..

rent would be rent that was appropriate at the time for area and property

I would give $50 a month rent credit (you could give more also more if based on down payment)

And up the sales price $10K above market since they could not buy the property at today's value with 3 years to qualify and purchase.

House is worth $135K 

Lease Option $145K

4 bed 2 bath w basement rents for $1200

$50.00 equity credit (reduces the sales price if they cash out)

$5K down reduces the purchase price for perspective buyer and/or tenant

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.