Property Management help needed!

3 Replies

Hi guys,

I was recently asked to manage a clients single family rental home. I'm intrigued at the idea of gaining more experience and extra income.

I currently own 2 similar rentals, so I do have some experience. I'd like to set up a proper PM company.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!



@Jack Harris  

 Welcome to BP. I don't have any specific advice for you, except to suggest you do a search of BP for property management. I'm sure there will be blogs, forum posts, and podcasts that will help you out. Good luck. 

it would not be legal for you to do that in Oklahoma. Oklahoma real estate law requires a property manager to hold a brokers license to manage rental properties. 

It might be ok for a RE agent in louisana. You might want to check the Louisiana real estate laws. Good luck

Welcome to BP @Jack Harris  !

To answer @Arlan Potter's question, an agent's license is what's required by LA law to manage others' property in LA. 

You should clarify with your broker how they expect you to do business.  They may want you to do it through them using their contracts and also their commission split?  It's important to answer those questions first.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

  • Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.