Transferring an Ohio deed after divorce

5 Replies

I wasn't sure where to post this question so  I hope I'm in the right forum.

I live in CA and have 2 rental homes in Ohio that I purchased while married to my ex husband. Both our names are on the deeds. In our martial settlement agreement we agreed I would keep the homes, they were awarded to me in the divorce and my ex signed the deeds over to me. I've been trying on and off for 10 months to find out what I need to do to get the new deeds recorded as I've heard I need a special convaence form. I've tried finding this form online to no avail and I've contacted the auditor/recorder several times but I always get sent to voicemail and noone calls me back. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get these deeds recorded either by mail (preferred) or my PM can walk them in for me. Thanks in advance for any help.

Contact a title company in the city where the properties are located.  They can point you in the right direction.   You may just want to have a title company do it for you.

There are title insurance implications when you change ownership of a property.  You should have received an owner's title policy paid for by the seller when you bought them.  If so, contact that title company and find out if that policy will be terminated when the ownership changes.

Thank you @Jon Holdman

I contacted a title company and they were not very helpful but it wasn't the one my poliicy is with. I will do that. And I don't believe my title insurance will be affected because the properties are already in my name and we are just removing my ex from the titles but I will verify this as well.  Thanks again!

As @Jon Holdman  said a Title co local to your properties should be able to help. They may charge a bit since you won't be doing a closing with them. I would contact the Title Co I did the original purchase closing with.

Ohio has a conveyance form whenever a property transfers. It's used to show the type of transfer, and if there is any transfer tax due. The three counties I've done deals in use the same two forms, but each implements it slightly differently. The form must be signed by the Grantee or their representative.

When I recorded the Quit Claim Deeds from my divorce, I signed as my ex-wife's representative.

If your properties are in my area, I could get the forms to you.

Thank you @Darrin Carey. My properties are in Youngstown and Campbell. Both are Mahoning County. If those are in your area and you can get me the forms that would be wonderful and greatly appreciated!

Thank you to all who replied. I have found a conveyance form that someone on here sent me the last time I asked about it... Somehow it got put into the wrong email folder... I'm hoping this is alI I need for Mahoning County!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

  • Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here