How to find property address from legal description?

How to find property address from legal description?

Buyer Coordinator · Surprise, AZ · Member since 2014 · 75 posts · 5 votes

I'm searching through my county probate recorders to gather leads but most the recorded documents don't show the address, they only show the legal description. Does anyone know how to find the property address from the legal description?

0Reply
199 views

Most Popular Reply

Residential Real Estate Agent · Groveland, FL · Member since 2012 · 504 posts · 395 votes
11y

Try copying legal into GOOGLE. Sometimes...

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Campbell, CA · Member since 2013 · 38 posts · 29 votes
    11y

    I think every county is different in regard to records.  This may be obvious, but did you try asking the person behind the desk how to find the actual property address or APN?  They must know where that information can be found, right??

    Mark

  • Investor · Boyd, TX · Member since 2014 · 688 posts · 467 votes
    11y

    The counties in Texas that I have looked at houses in have websites for their Appraisal Districts that allow you to search on many different pieces of information and legal description (even partial) has always been one of them.  Once you bring up the tax record it will have the property address (if it has an address some only have 000 Street Name because it wasn't ever asigned an official address) as well as the address of the owner.

  • Rockwall, TX · Member since 2014 · 380 posts · 211 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Erick Martinez:

    I'm searching through my county probate recorders to gather leads but most the recorded documents don't show the address, they only show the legal description. Does anyone know how to find the property address from the legal description?

    Since you are starting with the probate records, I assume you know the name of the owner who's property is being probated.  Look up the property by owner name in the CAD records and confirm the legal address as listed there to determine which is the correct property where multiples are owned.  You might even find an undiscovered gem this way.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Groveland, FL · Member since 2012 · 504 posts · 395 votes
    11y

    Try copying legal into GOOGLE. Sometimes...

  • Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 174 posts · 64 votes
    11y

    Contact your title company, if name search does not work.

  • Buyer Coordinator · Surprise, AZ · Member since 2014 · 75 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    @Mark Gagner That's not a bad idea, I'll call my county office tomorrow morning.

    @Paul Ewing I can't find a tax code on the document, the only code I can see is something like this: PB 2014-070463 ...

    @Roy Oliphant I'm doing something like that and I think I may have found out the address. One question though: what are CAD recorders? 

  • Lender · Greater LA/Orange County area, CA · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Geez, that sounds nasty. Like counting the cattle hooves and dividing by four.

    You could just go by tax parcel ID or just market to the PR's then postpone any real research until a prospect responds to your mailing piece. You know what county they're in, correct? 

    Of, you could just buy a better list.  Ask yourself yf you are doing $10/hour, $100/hour, $1,000/hour or $10,000/hour work. 

    I'm not afraid of hard work but fortunately, I'm lazy. 

  • Buyer Coordinator · Surprise, AZ · Member since 2014 · 75 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    @Rick H. Lol it is a lot of work, but postponing research until prospects respond to mailings is a great idea, I think so at least. As far as the tax parcel ID, would that be the Lot number?    

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    11y

    Check the tax plats. In my area the tax plat has the address on it. 

  • Lender · Greater LA/Orange County area, CA · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    In CA, we call it the Assessor's Parcel Number or A.P.N. 

    It's how the tax assessor keeps track of each parcel. Not a perfect system, but would get you what you need to connect the dots.

    Ned came to the same conclusion 

  • Investor · Austin TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Erick Martinez:

    I'm searching through my county probate recorders to gather leads but most the recorded documents don't show the address, they only show the legal description. Does anyone know how to find the property address from the legal description?


     Great question! I would search by the name of the deceased owner in the tax assessor records or county property records. Then verify by looking at the legal description. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.