How to find property address from legal description?

10 Replies

I'm searching through my county probate recorders to gather leads but most the recorded documents don't show the address, they only show the legal description. Does anyone know how to find the property address from the legal description?

I think every county is different in regard to records.  This may be obvious, but did you try asking the person behind the desk how to find the actual property address or APN?  They must know where that information can be found, right??

Mark

The counties in Texas that I have looked at houses in have websites for their Appraisal Districts that allow you to search on many different pieces of information and legal description (even partial) has always been one of them.  Once you bring up the tax record it will have the property address (if it has an address some only have 000 Street Name because it wasn't ever asigned an official address) as well as the address of the owner.

Originally posted by @Erick Martinez :

I'm searching through my county probate recorders to gather leads but most the recorded documents don't show the address, they only show the legal description. Does anyone know how to find the property address from the legal description?

Since you are starting with the probate records, I assume you know the name of the owner who's property is being probated.  Look up the property by owner name in the CAD records and confirm the legal address as listed there to determine which is the correct property where multiples are owned.  You might even find an undiscovered gem this way.

@Mark Gagner  That's not a bad idea, I'll call my county office tomorrow morning.

@Paul Ewing I can't find a tax code on the document, the only code I can see is something like this: PB 2014-070463 ...

@Roy Oliphant  I'm doing something like that and I think I may have found out the address. One question though: what are CAD recorders? 

Geez, that sounds nasty. Like counting the cattle hooves and dividing by four.

You could just go by tax parcel ID or just market to the PR's then postpone any real research until a prospect responds to your mailing piece. You know what county they're in, correct? 

Of, you could just buy a better list.  Ask yourself yf you are doing $10/hour, $100/hour, $1,000/hour or $10,000/hour work. 

I'm not afraid of hard work but fortunately, I'm lazy. 

In CA, we call it the Assessor's Parcel Number or A.P.N. 

It's how the tax assessor keeps track of each parcel. Not a perfect system, but would get you what you need to connect the dots.

Ned came to the same conclusion 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you