What Did You Do Today?

76 Replies

If I were to guess, here's what my friends did today:

@Serge S.  spend today thinking hard about the next $500,000

@Brian Burke  took his wife in his plane to Malibu, or something, and spent money he has

@Brandon Turner  took his wife to Hawaii and spent money he does not have! :)

Me - I helped my wife...here's how it went:

• went and picked up raw milk from the farm - do it every week
  • went and picked up fresh eggs from another farm
  • bathed both children in epsom salt baths
  • made a broth - that's hugely difficult actually
  • and in between all that, I published a post on justaskbenwhy, and submitted a killer post to BP for upcoming Tuesday - you guys should totally not miss this one!

I made no money today.  But, on the bright side, every one of my tenants is paid up for the month, and that'll work...

What did you do today?

Ha, nice try @Ben Leybovich  but no dice. I actually spent the day getting caught up on emails and reading articles and economic reports and listening to a BP Podcast (no, not my own).

Oh, and one more thing (and you were close on this one)...checking the weather for my flight tomorrow to Santa Monica (close to Malibu!) and Palm Springs.  But my wife isn't going...picking up my lawyer in Santa Monica and going to a meeting with some guys at the National Multihousing Conference in Palm Springs. 

See...some of us are working, Ben!!

Hey - the shortest rout for you is through Lima, @Brian Burke  - and weather in Ohio is always sunny!  I wanna come work too....please :)

Showed a rental and shoveled some snow while listening to my Seahawks come back out of nowhere against the Packers.  Go Hawks!

I got an accepted offer on my first rental property!

@Jeff G.  - congratulations!  Want to share some details?

continued my journey in the deep south  meet with property manager and turn key operator in Birmingham then proceeded to jackson.. Started the trip last Tuesday in Charleston.. then Atlanta... getting my boys and girls ready for an awesome 2015.. anything but waiting for deals we are creating deals !!! and they are as good  or better than last year !!

Attended church.   :)

@Brian Burke    sounds like a fun trip.. I like aviating in the LA basin very fast radio calls.

Also if you have not done it zip over to Catalina !!!

bought for 38K.

2/2 duplex. 

fully occupied

rents for a total of $995

figure positive cash flow conservatively of just under 6K/year

Originally posted by @Ben Leybovich :

If I were to guess, here's what my friends did today:

@Serge S.  spend today thinking hard about the next $500,000

@Brian Burke  took his wife in his plane to Malibu, or something, and spent money he has

@Brandon Turner  took his wife to Hawaii and spent money he does not have! :)

Me - I helped my wife...here's how it went:

• went and picked up raw milk from the farm - do it every week
  • went and picked up fresh eggs from another farm
  • bathed both children in epsom salt baths
  • made a broth - that's hugely difficult actually
  • and in between all that, I published a post on justaskbenwhy, and submitted a killer post to BP for upcoming Tuesday - you guys should totally not miss this one!

I made no money today.  But, on the bright side, every one of my tenants is paid up for the month, and that'll work...

What did you do today?

BL,

I tore both hamstrings today playing soccer. Only my 2nd game in 2 years.

I will be limping tomorrow when we meet lol :(

Thanks and see you tomorrow.

@Engelo Rumora  - I was just about to message you.  We've had to move the appointment cause Aaron came down with a bug.  I will, unfortunately, have to postpone.  I'll reach out when we plan to come out, and if you are available we'll hook up.  Sorry :(

Originally posted by @Ben Leybovich :

@Engelo Rumora - I was just about to message you.  We've had to move the appointment cause Aaron came down with a bug.  I will, unfortunately, have to postpone.  I'll reach out when we plan to come out, and if you are available we'll hook up.  Sorry :(

No prob at all mate,

Feel free to reach out anytime and sorry to hear Aaron is not feeling well.

Have a great evening :)

@Jeff G.  It is Monday morning here in Japan. MLK so I have a day off and this is how I've spent it.

• Finished reading the book The 5 Lessons a Millionaire Taught Me by Richard Paul Evans. (Easy read with great actionable steps to follow).
  • Have been on BP reading posts and writing responses to topics that interest me and also networking trying to find members to build mutually beneficial relationships.

Been looking all day on line for refinancing for my house.  Got a denial from a idiot underwriter the day before closing after he had me pay for an appraisal, and send dozens of my confidential documents.  Yes?  ignorance of Louisiana Real Estate Law by SunTrust Mortgage underwriters disagreeing with my Title company.  Oh yes! files to BBB, and letters to people to help with my Pain

Working on my flip property stripping tile on concrete with a super loud jackhammer and all neighbors are now mad at me :-) But the tile had to go...

@Brian Burke how many days will you be at NMHC? I'll be there as well and would like come say hello if you are around.

I played the guitar and played with my dog. 

@Ben Leybovich   you did earn money today. You eared 1/31 of a months rent from all your tenants. Not bad considering you spent the day making a broth out of babies and Epsom salts.

Ewe Yech; baby flavored broth

@Ben Leybovich   well since you said I'm the only schmuck left that buys homes with 25% down, you guessed it, I'm feverously searching for homes to buy with 25% down:) In all seriousness ... working hard to get some units in my 56 unit fully furnished for superbowl vacation rentals. VRBO rented very quickly at a very high rate which will eat all my loss to lease and vacancy for January. Quickly rented out nearly the entire spring and now looking to get another 1-2 units furnished and rented. 

@Brandon Turner take note. You were asking about vacation rentals. I finally took the plunge and think I've stumbled onto something big. The high revenue of short term rentals in a multifamily complex can add some serious value to a complex. We shall see how that goes. Fingers crossed I don't get bad reviews with my first couple visitors. Was hoping for a Packers Patriots Super Bowl as those are the fans that travel but should be fine w Seattle New England. Might have as many as 3 vacation rentals for Super Bowl weekend. 

Working to close an acquisition line of credit with Colony Finance to fund my 2015 SFR purchases. I have a year to deploy the capital, question is will there be enough deals? Looking at 1% deals in Arizona, newer construction over $1k gross rent and acquisition prices around $100k. Far cry from what I'm used to buying but hoping to buy with a minimum 25% front end equity. Sell at retail after a lease term or two and keep the best ones. Got my chips on metro PHX continuing to grow population long term.

Finally negotiating with an internet provider on a tower lease. I purchased a mobile home on an acre across the street from my 12 plex. Found out about the auction last minute and bid/won site unseen. Went to visit the property for the first time last week and found out it had a large wireless internet tower owned by a large operator. Found out that specific tower provides internet to over 200 homes and its the only game in town for that rural area. I'm hoping for a nice revenue share which will at least double the gross income on an otherwise average deal. $40k for the mobile and land, $750 rent, $10k rehab. 

Last but not least checking the forums to find out I've been called out for being the only Schmuck on BP buying homes with a downpayment. Oh well ... got to stay relevant somehow. How about 50% off Cash Flow Freedom University?

Slept in late thanks to my wonderful husband.  He spent the morning taking care of the kids. Cleaned the house and had a short play date with a neighbor.  Took down the Christmas tree and went on a family walk at a nearby lake.  Work-wise, I answered some emails, texts and phone calls.  I did some research for comps and potential buy and holds for clients.  It was a light day.  I started listening to a new audio book - Miracle Morning for Real Estate Agents.

1) slept in till 7:30!

2) bathed our newborn!

3) delivered a electric fireplace for the master bedroom of our latest flip in Cleveland

4) lunch with my wife and parents

5) cleaner, watched football, had a few Great Lakes Brewing Company Christmas Ales

6) year end accounting .. Uhg

Today I spent about two hours networking on BP with investors in and around my local market. By doing so I was able to pick up to properties that I'm sure I will be able to wholesale quite easily. So today was a good day. Also I upgraded my account from basic to plus and it paid off already!

Hammered out the details on a 3 unit and a 4 unit I offered on yesterday, went under contract for a 6 unit I offered on Friday.  Did some accounting,  had some friends over to watch the Packers lose it bad to the Seahawks and then watched the Patriots kill it.  

Tomorrow I am seeing a few properties with clients (from my Chicago brokerage) then setting up inspections for the new properties, finishing up this weeks accounting,  preparing for our Chicago meetup Tuesday, and prepping for my week out of town 

Today I spent time on BP reading the UBG, some forum posts...asked a question and followed up on some previous questions I asked. 

I also worked on Building cigar box guitars with my Uncle and watched the Seahawks come from nowhere to win and go to the Super Bowl! Go Hawks!!

And @Ben Leybovich  , broth is not that hard, I could teach ya( cooking may be my unfair advantage at this point. Lol.

Great to see what others were doing and the wide range of activities 

I think k I need to go figure out how to set up my signature.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here