What Did You Do Today?

What Did You Do Today?

Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes

If I were to guess, here's what my friends did today:

@Serge S. spend today thinking hard about the next $500,000

@Brian Burke took his wife in his plane to Malibu, or something, and spent money he has

@Brandon Turner took his wife to Hawaii and spent money he does not have! :)

Me - I helped my wife...here's how it went:

  • went and picked up raw milk from the farm - do it every week
  • went and picked up fresh eggs from another farm
  • bathed both children in epsom salt baths
  • made a broth - that's hugely difficult actually
  • and in between all that, I published a post on justaskbenwhy, and submitted a killer post to BP for upcoming Tuesday - you guys should totally not miss this one!

I made no money today.  But, on the bright side, every one of my tenants is paid up for the month, and that'll work...

What did you do today?

6Reply
138 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · West Bend, WI · Member since 2014 · 214 posts · 149 votes
11y

I got an accepted offer on my first rental property!

See this reply in the discussion

76 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @Frankie Woods - I like your style!

  • Investor · Richland, WA · Member since 2014 · 71 posts · 29 votes
    11y

    @Ben Leybovich Out of curiousity, why Epsom salt baths? I'm in the habit of regularly bathing my son...but have never added any preserving spices.

  • Real Estate Agent · Silver Spring, MD · Member since 2014 · 112 posts · 44 votes
    11y

    Since I'm just reading this and today is Monday.

    Gym
    Called some leads to make appointments for this week.
    Working on making an offer to Wholesale a property.

    What I will be doing:
    Updating social media with real estate.
    Listen to a podcast.
    Read (book, articles, blogs).
    Take my son bowling and looking forward to taking no prisoners.
    Check in with the title company about closing on a property this week.
    Call a potential investor about scheduling a time this week on how we can help each other grow and maybe become partners.
    Respond to emails to schedule showings for rental properties.

  • Investor · Glacier, WA · Member since 2010 · 30 posts · 14 votes
    11y

    Friday: Took 2 of my nieces snow skiing and spent too much time on the phone arguing with some HOA drone about an issue that should have been settled quickly.

    Saturday: Skied with friends, negotiated a pretty good deal on my new skis at our local shop, and attended our cabins' HOA board meeting (different HOA) where I am advising on a foreclosure.

    Sunday:  Did a bit more research on the skis I am buying and watched our Seattle Seahawks sneak their way into the Super Bowl!!!!

    Today: Signing on 2 rental refi's, still arguing with the drone from the first HOA, and prepping for a another HOA meeting (different rental!) tonight. Also I am packing the car to head back to the cabin to ski out this weeks storm.

    Passive Income is not always so "passive", but it sure beats walking into a real Monday thru Friday job I hate!

  • Jon HuberPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    11y

    @Ben Leybovich   I like the question...

    I welcomed 10 new people on BP, reviewed my home inspection on a property closing this month, scouted locations for future purchases, and I am now working on teaching my 9 week old puppy new tricks (as well as not peeing in the house). I've successfully completed all of them... except for my puppy peeing in the house.

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Ben Leybovich:

    @Ned Carey - I didn't know you play the guitar.  How long have you been at it, Ned?

     @Ben Leybovich  I have been playing for about a year. I  can't really play much but i am having a blast learning.. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Silver Spring, MD · Member since 2014 · 112 posts · 44 votes
    11y

    Great post btw @Ben Leybovich 

  • Real Estate Investor · Waukegan, IL · Member since 2013 · 367 posts · 80 votes
    11y

    Reading BP posts/threads regarding funding future deals in between working the j.o.b.

    Scoured the MLS

    Reached out to my agent on two and a possible (Spades speak for those that know :)

    Driving new area after I get off the j.o.b. I'm hoping to start investing in this year 

    Read a few more pages of The Millionaire Real Estate Investor

    P.S. I don't like those of you who say things like...they 'cycled for dollars' and played a few round of golf in 70 degree weather.  It's 39 degrees here!

  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    Well, from the starting point of the "today" of yesterday, it is now already tomorrow! 

    On Sunday I went to church, took my father-in-law and mother-in-law out to lunch and then visited my 95 year old mother in the assisted living apartment where she lives. Spent 8 hours with her as she has the influenza bug and needed my assistance getting her nutrition and exercise needs met. She is doing well and improving. We finished the evening watching Downton Abbey, thinking we don't resemble the downstairs or upstairs folks.

    On Monday I spent the morning getting my BP fix, learning and contributing as I go. Lunch time now and then I have an appointment at a local collection agency to start some action on some of our bad tenant debt files. Then over to my mum's again to help her some more.  All rents are in, so I'm earning 1/31 of our rents too. But then again, we're spending 1/31 of our monthly expenses for property taxes, insurance, mortgage, utilities, depreciation....etc. Still cash flowing, so I'm smiling.  Sun is shining too!

    Have a great day everyone!

  • Ewa Beach, HI · Member since 2013 · 145 posts · 42 votes
    11y

    Ok all this Hawaii talk is blowing up my keywords LOL. 

    Just woke up today...Now I'm a ttending the millions of emails on a couple of escrows I have here. Will then go surf (Hawaii). Once I'm back in the office (home) go back to emailing and establishing my Agent website. I'll also probably get side tracked throughout the night with Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, dreaming of RE investing and Yahoo article comments...

  • Real Estate Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2014 · 76 posts · 23 votes
    11y

    Walked my dog.  Coached a student.  Cleaned my house.  Did some laundry.  Got caught up on my emails.  Read the paper.  Surfed BP.  Listened to some NPR and New York Times Book Review podcasts (because I've now listened to ALL the BP podcasts).  Walked the dog again.  Worked out.  Took a shower.  Made dinner.

    Dreamed of the day I will be financially free...

  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 354 posts · 167 votes
    11y

    Slept in until 9am!  Completed some paperwork.  Surfed BP and responded to a couple of posts, Went out to lunch with my wife at Panera.  We then checked on our property that  new tenants are moving into on Friday.  Took complete set of photographs of the entire property for keeping in the move-in file.  After that we went to half price book store to look for leisure reading materials - not successful but that's ok.  Went f to a new furniture store to browse. We then came home and now I am logged into BP to see what is happening today.  Today was a lazy day to do what we wanted to do - Nothing.  Great way to start 2015!

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Morning - started work at 10 AM. When you own the business, you can start whenever you want. Freedom from a boss...

    Prepared for an interview with a host of a very popular investing podcast (I guess, 2nd only to BP).

    Interviewed at 1:30 PM. Podcast went superbly. Preparation, preparation, preparation.

    I talked with the podcast interviewer who happened to have an apartment complex in the same city and state where I have my 100+ unit apartment complex, that I NEED TO LOOK FOR ANOTHER 100+ UNIT APARTMENT COMPLEX. I am talking this Wednesday to someone with MILLIONS to invest (he just sold a business). Good deals on apartment complexes are hard to find nowadays right @Ben Leybovich ?

    Talk with the Sales VP of my company. He told me buyer is an anxious to close and asking for the exact date and time. Nice. He also told me that this is the only property that he has 5 back up buyers for. I should not have panicked last month and lowered the price. Argh. Maybe I could have gotten a bidding war on it.

    My Sales VP also told me he has a buyer for a property we have in Country Club Hills and wants to do owner financing. We are negotiating on the downpayment.

    Met a money investor at 3:30 PM. He invested $50K and signed the paperwork for his IRA to invest in one of my deals.

    4:00 PM received a wholesale deal from a wholesaler that I've done co-op deals with in the past. Emailed the info to my buyer looking specifically in the area where this property is at. He claims property is worth $225K, repairs of $60K, and we are selling it for $81K.

    5:00 PM, I will type up my Real Life of a Private lender forum thread to further provide value to BP Nation...

  • Investor · Brodheadsville, PA · Member since 2013 · 98 posts · 21 votes
    11y

    I thought "Hey I have some time before the football games start, I'll go out and check on this foreclosure lead right up the street, You know do lots of looking and learn my market", I got up, went on the road. I arrived at the development and made the left, BAM I was committed. I have never seen such poorly treated roads, I mean a sheet of ice 4 inches thick and the entry road was down hill, nothing I could do but hold on for the ride. About 2 blocks latter I was sideways In a ditch, 3.5 hours later waiting for the tow truck that is now stuck right along side of me. Its one of those times when you wonder is this REI business really for me but then I realized I learned something about my market, be it the hard way but none the less. If I looked at this unit in the spring and bought and invested time and money thru the summer just to find out the roads are not treated by township or development all thru the winter, I would have been really POd. Just one more place in my market I will not be investing. Buy the way my truck is still there.

  • Real Estate Investor · somewhere, AL · Member since 2011 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    Sundays are for Faith, Family, and Fun....

    Breakfast with the family. Fellowship with believers. Motorcycle ride in the GA mountains. Watch my football team make it to the SB.

  • Mooringsport, LA · Member since 2014 · 25 posts · 31 votes
    11y

    I went to see American sniper but the movie was sold out.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @Wendell De Guzman - you're such a show-off!

    Listen - I promise, as soon as there's something to talk about with 100+, you'll now.  I've been looking for 12 months.  Today got an email from one of my investors looking for opinion (since I don't have anything, what do I think of this?)  Wendell, you have no idea the kinds of **** that's going around these days.  If I was willing to underwrite like that, I'd have been loosing money not on 1 but 5 of these by now...

    In the mean time, tell the second best radio show people to look me up - I kill it every time.  And if they decide to shake things up a bit and go to video, that's even better - I'm hot!

  • OH · Member since 2014 · 454 posts · 227 votes
    11y

    7:30 AM morning workout! Fresh, organic breakfast around 9:30! Quick shower & off to the store around 11 AM (daily routine).

    While hanging out at my Pawnshop, I thought where should my next move be. I am looking for 50+ unit APT buildings....to me I am looking for one in the right location, perhaps look for an area/building that attracts the "white collar" community. I want to put good materials in a good facility where people will appreciate it! Now how to get this magical building in the right location & for the right price!!! It'll happen sooner than later, I know it!

    In the mean while, I checked my units status online (via cloud system), made sure all the bills were being paid & checked out how many times the snow plow company has serviced me! A few times in 1 day, great....another $500 :-)

    Also, pondered how I have to find a new primary residence....another 20% cash has to go down..too bad it can't go for another REI.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Meadow New york · Member since 2014 · 232 posts · 95 votes
    11y

    @Stephen Dominick sorry to hear what a rough day you had! But I completely know where you are coming from. Today I looked at 4 potential investments near Marshall's Creek Pa, the main streets were ok but the unpaved side streets were another story! So this is what I found;

    One was a converted trailer, another was a DIY illegal 2 fam conversion, the other was a mold haven and last one showed some potential. Tomorrow I will get some more comps from my agent, speak to my contractor and WORK THE NUMBERS!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 328 posts · 252 votes
    11y

    Got carpet installed on my latest mobile home deal then watched the Seahawks win an amazing Cinderella come from behind game.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @Brian Burke - how was your trip?  I don't mind telling you that you missed a wonderful sun-shining day here in Lima...:)

    @Steve Olafson - I understand you had lunch with @Serge S. .  What do you think of my friend Serge?  OK in small doses - right?

  • Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2014 · 659 posts · 536 votes
    11y

     He seems to be a great guy.  I like his drive and ambition.  We think alike in many ways.  Neither of us are in this game for the cashflow yet.

    I expect that someday the rest of us will meet as well.  I enjoy meeting other like minded individuals.  :)

  • Entrepreneur · Miami, FL · Member since 2013 · 133 posts · 83 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Ben Leybovich:

    @Brian G. - we pay people to do that kinda work.  What's wrong with you?

     Ok. Ok... After contemplating your reply. Your are right... I just love being at the job-site learning new things. It's very easy to get distracted on this business. I've turned the project to my GC. Thanks for keeping me honest. All the best.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 451 posts · 96 votes
    11y

    Sent a final purchase proposal to someone who's attorney doesn't have a clue on realestate and had a new screen door installed on a tenants house.

  • Real Estate Investor · Johannesburg, South Africa · Member since 2014 · 33 posts · 11 votes
    11y

    Well, this question requires some thought. I started off answering emails, which included moving an appointment to sign transfer documents for a purchase on a unit bought from a developer. Then I received an SMS from a different lawyer to say that my transfer on a different unit had been lodged at the deeds office. Midday was spent washing the dogs, shopping for groceries, ordering kitchen equipment online and doing handwork while listening to an audio book on understanding cash flow. The afternoon saw me meeting an agent at a new unit and gathering the numbers necessary for assessing the deal. I'm fairly ineperienced at calculating rate of return and such like, but regular exposure to BP helps a lot. Dipping into blog posts and reading forum posts has become a regular part of my everyday routine.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.