How much do you pay for title searches?

3 Replies

I always thought the going rate for title searches was $250 as that's what I've paid in the past. I just came across a Florida company who does them in 24 hours for $49.

I was wondering what others pay in different states?

Has anyone ever negotiated a lower rate for a bulk purchase?

My most recent was $200 and it took just a few hours to get the verbal result back and a day or so to actually see the report. It was basically chicken scratch on a worksheet. Im in MA and all info is online and readily available. I could have done it myself but preferred the third party verification so to speak. This was a fairly simple search that was done on a property that had been in my family for over 100 years that is going through probate so I can sell it. I think they do a fair share of easy ones but on occasion they get one with several refis, liens, etc...that may take some time. Its always $200 for this company. I never thought to ask for a deal but my level of investing wouldnt qualify for a bulk discount @Nat C.

For many years I have encouraged everyone to lean how to do research at the county recorder by using their grantor/grantee system, as a way to become familiar and proficient with chain of title.

Over the years I've come to make use of free customer services provided by my title company due to an ongoing business relationship. 

Free services include online access to profiles and recorded docs. I generally use profiles during the vetting and qualifying process for a new prospect. 

Once 'in play' I'll order a prelim (free, due to being a customer) and address all chain of title issues including vesting and voluntary and involuntary liens and other interesting claims discovered. 

Those who perform dozen or perhaps hundreds of title searches per day, such as those who bid foreclosure sales, often build tight relationships with their title rep and submit a list of properties they intend to bid on that day, as early as practical. Alternatively, they may create internal systems using office staff, a researcher at the recorder and a data vendor such as Title Point (at a cost of perhaps several thousand dollars per month).

@Nat C.

I read your old post about title search. In this you mentioned you found someone who does in cheaper rate in florida. I am in florida I would like to know the contact if you can share with me or any one else whom you are using. I am kind of learning to buy property in county auction. Can you please me guide me properly? I will appreciate your efforts. Also would like to connect with you since we are in same market

Looking to hear from you

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you