Window replacement seems extremely HIGH Priced

18 Replies

Windows Replacement cost

It's a $2900 sf. duplex. I do have the option of just replacing the 10 pane windows which I got a quote for $2,000 just for glass replacement.  I feel like I'm getting raped.   Urggh!   Anyone with replacement window expertise.   Why is the image showing up as a single little line. You have to click the line.

Looks like a typo. Should not cost you more than between $2K and $3K to replace all the windows. Simply get at least 3 quotes for window contractors

Also go down to your regular home depot or lowes or whatever the major home building supplier is in your area and price the windows yourself. 

If the contractor gave you this quote and verbally stated it was going to be $31,500.00

I would report them to my nearest consumer protection agency or state contractors license board and definitely never not ever call them again for anything. Stay away from that contractor they are a criminal. 

That is an insane price, I see you are in Baltimore too, what company quoted this? As the poster above mentioned, I would report this type of activity to MHIC.

You guys are really awesome. I saw red flags, but now I'm putting the breaks on. I'm looking for 2 more estimates now. 

I knew it was a scam.

Well since the first guy was so out of line get at least 5 more estimates

WoW!!...that is a crazy price for windows.

You can use that money as a down-payment

Jeeze! I'd love to see that itemized to see how he's coming up a 30k quote. 

Sounds like a PFA number. There has to be a lot more to this than what we're seeing on the estimate, right? Looking at that estimate it appears he's quoting you on a total of 49 windows. 39 removed, replaced with new, touching up paint. 10 more, replace broken pane only.

Looks like the contractor is confused on what he's doing or he's hoping you're confused.  

I've had several replaced in the past both in Georgia and in South Florida. You've got to be careful who you choose as a contractor because pricing for a lot of them will be whatever they think they can get away with! 

I usually opt for windows a little above medium quality. Cost in your area of the country may be different but on average $200-$225 per window installed. (Avg $200 here in GA and a little higher in S. Florida). Specialty windows can be double (even triple) that but on average for a typical 32x60 window of decent quality $200-$225 per. 

39 windows even at a average price of $300.00 per window comes to around $11,700.00 just to give you a clue. I have been doing construction for over 30 years and honestly I have never spent more than an average or even a high end of $7,000.00 for an entire house. But $31,500.00 in Baltimore could even buy you a small house complete. In some areas might even buy you a duplex. Of course one that would need repairs I would think but still get you another property. 

Get more bids, this looks overpriced. Get a couple of more companies. 

Wow, that looks like a typical rehab budget!!

Looks like roughly 40 windows being replaced; is that correct?  What brand of window is being installed?

There are some really expensive window brands out there ...

Thanks guys so much for your input.  I confirmed with the lender that I can use up to 3 license contractors for the renovation.   I contaced several other window companies and HVAC for my oil to gas conversion.  The same contractor wanted $12,000 for 2 boilers, etc.  So, it looks like I might be on the right rode now.  I can't wait to get those estimate back.

@Michael Hart  - what is  a PFA number?

@Steve Babiak - Not sure what brand of windows.

Thank you so much and I will report back on the new estimates.  Most of you that stated I can buy a small house in baltimore for that price is so correct.  Notin  a great area, but you are right and yes that amount for windows is a decent rehab cost for a small property.

@Kimberly H. , I just put six windows in a house.  The first three were purchased for $135 each at Lowe's.  The second three were purchased for $60 total at Lowe's a couple of days later.  The second three had been returned (unused) by another buyer and Lowe's couldn't sell them at the regular price.  Initially, they were listed (not really listed, as I had to track down someone and ask) for $40 each, but the asst mgr who showed me the windows was in a good mood and offered me all three for $60.

I paid a couple of guys $75 each window for installation.  I probably could have gotten them installed for $50 each, but I'm happy to come out ~ $150 per window puchase+installation, so I'm not complaining.

Generally speaking, I anticipate spending $200-$250 total (purchase+installation) for each replaced window.

Good luck with your new quotes.

For oil to gas conversion, see how old the oil burning boilers are. If they are reasonably young, then you can just have the existing boilers re-gunned with something like a Midco Economite or similar, for much less than the cost of replacing the entire boiler. 

Ok....progress. Three additional estimates between 12K-14k. Much more in line with what you guys advised.

I agree, he should be reported. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.