How are YOU finding deals?

120 Replies

• Latest handful - Craigslist ( I scan every day)
  • last house - wholesaler
  • Previous package of about 20 houses - combined wholesaler and my internet searching
  • I also got a great deal by posting an ad in Craigslist myself (not the typical "I buy houses for cash!" BS), but a targeted ad that struck gold.
  • rest were with a regular realtor who knows the REI business

Never had any luck with advertisted (listed or unlisted) FSBOs. 

Driving for dollars; getting leads from other wholesalers/investors; mail marketing; online networking and... a secret I shall not mention, muuuaaahhhhh....:-) 

Kudos,

Mary

Most of my leads come thru agents but my deals just come from giving offers that I think the house is worth. I gave an offer of 170k a few weeks ago on a bank owned property listed for 225K and it got accepted! 

Thanks Joe,
That what I thought.

Originally posted by @Joe Fairless :
Originally posted by @Charline R.:

Hi There, Great thread!

How do I get on to MLS? Every time I search there I get a "foreclosure fortunes" site!

Thanks for any help.

Charline

You've got to be an agent in most cities. However, in some, it's publicly available 

1. MLS (flip)

2. Direct marketing (flip)

3. Wholesaler (buy and hold)

4. Wholesaler (buy and hold that turned into a flip)

5. Online lead (lfipped to a  fellow investor)

Also have a MLS and direct marketing deal coming up.

Starting from most recent:

1: agent found off-market property through their network

2: different agent locked down foreclosure before it hit market, wholesaled to me

3: wholesaler found a FSBO

4: purchased a package of 4 houses from an estate 

A deal I have in escrow... I found from driving around, saw a nasty tenant house, looked up the owner and left messages on the phone #'s that looked to be tied to the owner.  Two weeks later I got a call back from a elderly lady in a convalescence home that was related to the owner.  That old lady gave her daughter in law, which was the owner, my # and we met and worked out a deal.  

We are fishermen/women fishing everyday.  Put a bunch poles in the water.

Frank

Focus on a particular neighborhood that is safe and appealing both for renting out and selling. Wait patiently until a well priced turnkey property appears on the MLS.

Least recent to most recent:

1) Zillow (can you imagine?)

2) MLS

3) Same agent from #2 

4) Friend (also in Real Estate) passed it over, which is from wholesaler

5) An agent who I met before, but then sealed a deal during a Happy Hour =)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you