FACEBOOK!!! Social Media...Business name or personal?

11 Replies

Hey BP,

I am taking steps to really start my marketing.  One of the ways is through social media.  The question I have is should I have my Facebook, twitter, Instagram and pintrest in my personal name or my business name?  Please also tell me why so I can make an informed decision.  

The other question I have is if it is in my business name how will all of my friends current and past find me.  I also must add I have never done social media so all this is new to me.  So maybe they can search under my name as well and it links to my company.  This is why I need your help and advice.  

I agree with Scott, have a personal & business. Remember to post original content first on your website then cross post to your business & personal page. This will help with your SEO (?) ratings & Google search. The reason you post to personal page is starting out drive traffic to your other pages for all to like.

@Jamie Wooley one of this biggest things I see happen with small business owners is they go create all of these profiles and then do nothing with them. Just remember it's it's better to just create the profiles you're going to be active on, then add more as you see fit.

Links and sharing to social media profiles has little to no value from an SEO standpoint. It's about engagement these days. That means building a strong following organically (not buying followers) and sharing and posting good quality content. 

The hardest part will be finding that quality content and sticking with it across all platforms.

If you don't love to write, I would hire a writer and start sending them topics to cover.

Great question @Jamie Wooley , I've been pondering that myself.

@Jeremy Ferguson - What would you suggest to a newbie for writing original content? I would like to start a biz page too, but obviously I'm not the expert...yet =).  What do I write about.  I guess this would be the same question for blogging too?

Thanks

Start posting unique content on your blog that can then be shared out to the various social platforms. 1 piece of good content with an attractive title can feed your other platforms and bring people back to your website. As to what that content is, you need to think about your target audience. 

• What is a common question they have? 
  • What is something they need to know? 
  • What can you help them with? 

Once you have written down a few answers to the questions above, you now have some starting topics to write about.

Social media marketing is VERY time consuming and like other methods is very difficult to measure the ROI.

I think you should have an account in your name and one in your business name. I assume right now you are a one person company. You may grow to be larger and your other employees may want to use the company social media pages.

I agree, separate business and personal pages (Facebook/websites).

On Facebook, I invite all my friends to 'like' my Facebook branded page (I'm a real estate agent as well).  Any sort of local area news, updates, or real estate articles I post there first, and then occasionally will share to my personal page to boost the views.  I don't do it every single time though, as I don't want to annoy any of my friends.  I want them to WANT to see my updates so I try to link to interesting articles and content.  Sometimes I highlight recently closed transactions, picture of a happy customer, etc. but don't link to properties for sale unless I am holding an open house.  I've heard from other people that it's annoying when agents post their listings and that's all they do... I tend to agree.  I'm an agent and even I unfollow those pages! 

My other social media profiles (Twitter, Instagram, Medium) are in my personal name only - it would be way too much to manage otherwise.  However, I brand them professionally, ie professional photo, my occupation/interests in the bio, and again try to stick with interesting, relevant content rather than posting personal updates such as what is going on in my personal life.  

Hope this helps! 

It would depend on what you're using it for and the type of clientele you're targeting. Personally, I don't use it for investment purposes which I tend to keep separate. Though, I do use it to network with others in the same field. Hope that helps! 

Thank you all very much for your advice. 

Just to Update... I have contacted a social media expert and she will be handling all of my social media for me.  I have decided yes I will use a seperate business page.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you