Finding owners

5 Replies

Hi, 

I found a vacant home in Anchorage, AK, looked up the owner in the tax records but am not sure how to proceed from here as it appears there is a possibility the homeowner is either ill or deceased. The property appraisal shows the owner is receiving a senior citizen discount. The taxes were not paid for 2015 or 2016 and the only address listed is in the tax records is the homes physical address. I did an obituary search but came up with multiple people with the same name who  passed in 2015.  None were listed for Anchorage though but if this is an elderly person they could have been receiving treatment out of state.  I have thought about knocking on the doors of the neighbors to see if they know who the owner is.  Has anyone tried this or have any other suggestions?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you!

Hello, my father has done exactly what you're talking about doing countless times. People normally don't like houses being empty as it can attract crime. Just explain that you're a real estate investor and its a property that you're trying to make a decision on. 

Goodluck! 

Absolutely talk to the neighbors. You can also go to ancestry.com - I think they still give free 14-day trial memberships - and see, if he's mentioned in the social security death index. 

Also go to www.peoplesmart.com and put in his name and anchorage and see what pops up. Even if you're not a member, it often shows, if the owner is deceased. 

If he's deceased and you find the dates, if Alaska is an open record state, you can order the death certificate and see who the informant is - usually a relative.

Thank you for your ideas.  I did confirm through the city tax records the owner is deceased.  I am mailing a letter to the address to see if it comes back or if it gets forwarded.

Nunaka Valley?

This post has been removed.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.