Trees around a house

4 Replies

Hey BP, 

Just wondering what your opinions are about trees that are allowed to grow over or around the house, I have been going on a daily walk around different neighborhoods checking out houses and I've been seeing many places that the owners have trees next to their house and their gutters are packed full of leaves, ect plus some of the house, the trees block half the house from view. Is there a benefit to having a tree(s) by your house? My primary has no trees near and my gutters are always nice and clean and I like not having to maintain the gutters, plus I like being able to see a house in it's entirety, what does everyone think?

All aesthetics aside, IMO the issue is roots and likely storm damage.

Trees a used to provide shade and in many areas are very effective in lowering cooling bills.

A well placed and cared for tree I think can add value, such as shade, windbreak and curb appeal for a homeowner. On the other hand certain trees can really be a nuisance. Roots can damage things underground, limbs can hang over roofs causing damage by rubbing. Branches breaking after high winds littering the yard.  Between the over grown bushes and trees the house can be completely hidden from the street.

I've seen trees literally growing along the garage wall so tight that a notch in the roof was put in for space. Also, in a window well of a house a tree was growing that had been growing for about 8-10 yrs.

Keep an eye on the unkept yards for leads.

@Bryan K. I agree that a well placed and cared for tree can add value, I think trees are great for curb appeal if planted in the right area, next to a house is not a good place, it can make a nice place look run down.

Just keep in mind as long as the trees don't endanger the house, they should be okay. The gutters may fill faster though.

Besides that, how it looks is up to you. You could always pay to take them down. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.