• Flipper
  • Norwood, PA
Votes |
Self directed IRA and hard money

Costel A.
  • Flipper
  • Norwood, PA
Posted Feb 28 2017, 04:47

Since I don't have enough cash in hands I decided to use money from my 403(b) retirement fund. I created a self-directed IRA with a custodian company. I don't have too much into my 403(b) either, only $60,000, not enough to buy a property, rehab it and sell it back unless I go to very cheap areas where nobody wants to move. I talked to my CPA about my situation and he said that I need money from hard money lenders or from banks that can give me a commercial loan. I asked him what is the first step at the moment and he said "create an LLc for your business". And I did it! At the moment I am aproved by a hard lending company and my check from Fidelity just arrived at the custodian IRA company. I thought that by next week I'll be able to start. I was wrong!

Talking back to the custodian IRA company yesterday they informed me that I can't use an LLC!!! The custodian IRA is the owner of every property I'm buying and if I need more money I need to find a bank that can give me a nonrecourse loan, meaning their only collateral is the property itself. I thought that this is exactly what the hard money companies are doing. However, on a second thought, the hard money asked me a lot of questions about the all my private assets. Why would they need such information if they can't go after my assets if things go south? Or can they?

Loading replies...