I've done the BRR now how do I do the last R?

I've done the BRR now how do I do the last R?

Rental Property Investor · DFW · Member since 2015 · 89 posts · 36 votes

Need advice and/or suggestions. I purchase a property last May. I'm interested in perhaps doing a cash out refi. I paid cash for the property. I called a mortgage company in December they told me I had to wait a year to cash out. Question? Do I only have to use local mortgage companies to do a cash out? And, what % of the property can I cash out? Purchase price only or ARV?

1Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · York, PA · Member since 2017 · 377 posts · 315 votes
9y

@Val J. - when buying a property, financial institutions will usually loan based on a percentage of the purchase price (although there are some that will loan based on appraisal).

After you own the property, you can refinance based on appraisal value - that's why the BRRRR strategy works when you force appreciation on the investment, allowing you to take out more than you put in (hopefully)

Call around and find a different mortgage company that will refinance on a shorter term. Mortgage brokers can help here if you have any in your network.

You do not have to use a local mortgage company, although local credit unions or smaller local banks are usually interested in portfolio investing.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · York, PA · Member since 2017 · 377 posts · 315 votes
    9y

    @Val J. - when buying a property, financial institutions will usually loan based on a percentage of the purchase price (although there are some that will loan based on appraisal).

    After you own the property, you can refinance based on appraisal value - that's why the BRRRR strategy works when you force appreciation on the investment, allowing you to take out more than you put in (hopefully)

    Call around and find a different mortgage company that will refinance on a shorter term. Mortgage brokers can help here if you have any in your network.

    You do not have to use a local mortgage company, although local credit unions or smaller local banks are usually interested in portfolio investing.

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    9y

    Every lender is different, so I would call around. We've had some lenders that are very strict on seasoning requirements and others who are very loose. Ask for referrals from other investors and then call around.

  • Hard Money Lender · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 27 posts · 21 votes
    9y

    @Val J. Plenty of banks/credit unions in Dallas will do cash-out refis after 6 months. They will go off of a current appraised value and lend upwards of 80% of that appraisal. Just keep looking around!

  • Investor · Holmdel, NJ · Member since 2013 · 29 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    do you have to generally show w2 income on a cash out refi?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.