First OOS BRRRR in Pittsburgh - advice?

1 Reply

Hi, 

Barring anything big and unexpected jumping out during the inspection on Friday, I will be closing on a vacant 3bdrm SFH that will require some renovations. Expected renovations include: new windows, new flooring (carpet throughout mostly but a few rooms have hard wood), new paint throughout, landscaping/small patio work in back and stone work along steps and walk way, new light fixtures and other cosmetic items, possibly some repair to the slate roof and new kitchen (new cabinets, flooring and appliances).

I'm looking for advice/tips related to successful out of state reno'ing (not even sure what specifically i'm asking for here since I've never done it but I guess tips and tricks for successful management of a project like this from afar?).   

And, local advice on where to look for good deals on appliances and windows?  Also, if have a GC that you'd recommend, I'd be grateful for their contact information.  

Thanks in advance! 

Updated over 3 years ago

Noticed I didn't refer to the location of this property. It is in Pittsburgh.

@Kristina Inglis If you are buying in the Pittsburgh market reach out to me. I am heavily vested in the market here. Otherwise I can give you a few tips. Budget high and for incidentals. Hire slowly and fire quickly. Get a good GC to help you and is investor friendly. Dont be cheap and use quality products where you need to. Its not going to be easy. We flip 4-5 props a month here and its a struggle and we have the systems in place and live here.

Best of luck to you

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you