Steve's 5,000th post!

49 Replies

Was surprised to get notice of my 5,000th post this morning from BP!  Are you telling me that I've been arguing, advising, sharing and yacking to the tune of 5,000 times already? I haven't seen a milestone post thread in a while, so thought I would mark the occasion quickly and do one. 

Looking back, I used to welcome new folks more and advise more on the seller-financing and creative side along with Brian Gibbons and Bill Gulley and Bob and others, some no longer with us.  The landscape of contributors and the membership has changed a lot since 2014 when I found BP.  We all mature and do different things as we go.  New members have picked up the welcome and how do I get started slack, so I focus more on things I care about these days like leverage levels and creative strategies. 

BP and my colleagues and its members in general have been an important part of my life since I found it.  I sincerely enjoy my time here and want to thank you all for listening to me rant and rave and share 5,000 times! 

Awesome thanks for all your contributions Steve!

That's awesome, Steve! BP is definitely a fun and productive place to pass some time.

305-537-6252

5,000 is a huge number (i'm still under 100 :)  )

Great work, definitely worthy of celebration!

Originally posted by @Brian Garrett :

Thanks, Brian!

I remember when you first found BP.  Lots of questions!  

Now you are a true contributor and willingly share your knowledge, which is the essence of BP.

You would be on my short list of 'most improved players' if there was one.  Glad you stuck with it and are doing well! 

Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan :
Originally posted by @Brian Garrett:

Thanks, Brian!

I remember when you first found BP.  Lots of questions!  

Now you are a true contributor and willingly share your knowledge, which is the essence of BP.

You would be on my short list of 'most improved players' if there was one.  Glad you stuck with it and are doing well! 

Thanks buddy I appreciate that!

BP has been a great resource for me thanks to people like yourself.

There's so much experience and knowledge around here.

Always happy to help people on the forums the same way guys like you did (and still do) for me!

Congrats @Steve Vaughan . You are one of my favorite BP members and contributors.  Always great information.  I wish I could find it, but one of my favorite posts you made compared lowball offer people to acting like they were riding on the short bus.

Russell Brazil, Real Estate Agent in Maryland (#648402), Virginia (#0225219736), District of Columbia (#SP98375353), and Massachusetts (#9​0​5​2​3​4​6)
(301) 893-4635

@Steve Vaughan ,

Congrats on 5K! :)  Your input is always well appreciated here!

@Steve Vaughan thats awesome! Yes I remember welcoming quite a few people as well in the beginning. Although I still do this as best I can, I have seen my questions/answers that I have been composing here on Bp are now more specific to the situations I have either been in or am currently experiencing in more own real estate investing journey

Melissa Gittens, Real Estate Agent in CT (#REB.0790812)
(203) 400-0918

@Steve Vaughan

when are you going on a podcast??

I always appreciate your inputs and funny comments. More importantly, you are sincere, and have nothing to sell or promote other than your experiences. 

Keep on posting ! 

Originally posted by @Russell Brazil :

Congrats @Steve Vaughan. You are one of my favorite BP members and contributors.  Always great information.  I wish I could find it, but one of my favorite posts you made compared lowball offer people to acting like they were riding on the short bus.

Ahh yes, good times, Russell!  I hope Todd isn't still mad at me over that one.  I'm sure I have angered more than a few in some of the more heated debates on here.

Gotta stand for something or you'll fall for anything I think the song goes.

Congrats on your awesome vote/post ratio of greater than 1:1, BTW.  Definitely not easy to do. Proves how much value you contribute to BP.  Thanks for stopping in!  

@Steve Vaughan  I do remember the good old days, before Greg H. changed his name to Thomas and when Bob Bowling would argue for appreciation investing. 

You have been a great friend on this forum. It has been great to learn from you, laugh with you and above all thanks for putting up with my sometimes obnoxious attitude and sarcasm.

So the big question for @Mindy Jensen is when will you have Steve on the BP podcast?

Originally posted by @Melissa Gittens :

@Steve Vaughan thats awesome! Yes I remember welcoming quite a few people as well in the beginning. Although I still do this as best I can, I have seen my questions/answers that I have been composing here on Bp are now more specific to the situations I have either been in or am currently experiencing in more own real estate investing journey

I hear you, Melissa.  If I hop and and see that a question has been sufficiently answered or the idea or process I was going to add is similar to something already said, I just give that person a vote and call it good.  I used to add it anyway.

But I do remember being new and still try to welcome new folks, especially if their intro has limited responses.  It's just the right thing to do!

Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock :

@Steve Vaughan I do remember the good old days, before Greg H. changed his name to Thomas and when Bob Bowling would argue for appreciation investing. 

You have been a great friend on this forum. It has been great to learn from you, laugh with you and above all thanks for putting up with my sometimes obnoxious attitude and sarcasm.

So the big question for @Mindy Jensen is when will you have Steve on the BP podcast?

Boy we had some fun, didn't we?  Bob Bowling was a hoot.  Just jokingly state you want to apply a cap rate to a house and grab some popcorn.   

I would mention that I self-closed a seller-financed transaction and Uncle Bill Gulley would take me to the woodshed like clockwork... Thank you sir, may I have another???  

Greg H is actually a moderator here, but I know who you mean.  It used to end in S...

Ok - thank you all for the 'be on a podcast' recommendations.  It's not @Mindy Jensen 's fault I haven't been on one.  It's my lack of technologicalo or whatever expertise.  It probably won't be what you expect if it happens, but stay tuned....

Originally posted by @Alexander Felice :

Congrats Steve!

always enjoy reading your posts and perspective.

Recently I was thinking I rant on here too much, but today you have given me inspiration to continue.

Well you're just a pup at 1500 posts my young friend.  Rant away!

I love your Broke Is a Choice biz - aligns with my principals beautifully.  Can't tell you how many times I have said "No money for a down payment?  Then....drive a beater, eat pb&j, brew your own coffee and stay out of malls and clubs unless they are your 3rd job!"   @Jay Hinrichs can confirm!    

Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan :
Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock:

@Steve Vaughan I do remember the good old days, before Greg H. changed his name to Thomas and when Bob Bowling would argue for appreciation investing. 

Boy we had some fun, didn't we?  Bob Bowling was a hoot.  Just jokingly state you want to apply a cap rate to a house and grab some popcorn.   

I would mention that I self-closed a seller-financed transaction and Uncle Bill Gulley would take me to the woodshed like clockwork... Thank you sir, may I have another???  

Greg H is actually a moderator here, but I know who you mean.  It used to end in S...

Ok - thank you all for the 'be on a podcast' recommendations.  It's not @Mindy Jensen 's fault I haven't been on one.  It's my lack of technologicalo or whatever expertise.  It probably won't be what you expect if it happens, but stay tuned....

My bad, you are right it was Greg S. I left the forum for a month to work on a house rehab and when I came back Greg S was gone, replaced by someone named Thomas who was attacking hobby landlords with the same vengeance. 

It has been pretty cool to hear people like Russel and JD on the podcast. It is nice to put a voice to the name. Going on the podcast gives you street credit in the forums.

Originally posted by @Scott Trench :

Congrats @Steve Vaughan - I've certainly appreciated your perspective on my journey throughout this whole time. Could you maybe share briefly about how or whether your portfolio has grown since 2014 when you joined as well?

I appreciate you jumping in here, Scott.  I wish I knew what you know about RE and life and budgeting when I was your age.  Congrats to you on your awesome book and podcast!

As to how my portfolio has grown, it's been more of a transition and consolidation as far as #of units and leverage amounts.   For instance, I sold a triplex that wasn't my favorite and had a super high land value in a CB district since 2014.  Horrible depreciation and not much appreciation potential.  Stabilized it and sold it, re-deploying into 2 nicer seller-financed houses that had reasonable land values and more appreciation potential, but less cash-flow. Sometimes our goals change as we mature in our RE careers, of course.

I've basically been at 30-35 units since 2007, but my leverage has dropped significantly on the commercial apt side and my NW since 2014 has tripled.  Much of this success and the trajectory I chose was thanks to the knowledge and experiences shared by others here on BP.

I'll never be that guy that syndicates or strives to own 1,000 units in multiple markets across the country.   I just want 30-50 free and clear assets, quietly and under the radar, changing my family tree forever.

Originally posted by @Brie Schmidt :

@Steve Vaughan - Congrats!  

Thanks, Brie.  I enjoy your contributions here.

Looks like you are heading towards the big 5k, too.  Hope you do a milestone thread as well!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.