Long Beach & Orange County, CA · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 7 votes
Hey I am Newbie, and I just read this article. Wanted some more expert opinions on this article and FHA loans and people buying homes with poor credit and low income in today’s hot market. What do you all think?
Small-Time Bankers Make Millions Peddling Mortgages to the Poor - Bloomberg Businessweekhttps://apple.news/A-FtZMr0uTJSudDsEPZrF-Q
-Matt
REALTOR® · Brockport, NY · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
8y
Sure....
I will say in a sellers market (like our area) I find it harder to worry about. Right now i have dozens of good qualified buyers (3% EMD, USDA/FHA/VA/700+ scores/2 years union/ over asking) that are getting beat out left and right. In our area those are good qualifications. If they can't buy now, well, it's not a market that's going to fall due to lack of interest.
Now I will say, during the last recession we stayed fairly flat, our 18% of 100K up and down was MEH each way. In reality that's a car payment on a Cruze, so we were not hurting too bad.
But I could be wrong wouldn't be the first time .....
Flipper/Rehabber · Portland, OR · Member since 2018 · 30 posts · 12 votes
8y
I think the markets are approaching a correction. These things come in cycles and the market is pretty bloated in places. Though I don't think all places will crash simultaneously herein the good ole' USA. You may be investing in a region that will be largely unaffected when the correction comes.
Rental Property Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2016 · 123 posts · 84 votes
8y
Of course there will be a correction eventually. I’m just trying to stay prepared. I now live in the Midwest and it is definitely harder to find cheap rentals now than a few years ago. Big Time Dreams!
As for a crash being imminent, I'm saying no. Inventory levels are down and will continue to drop in most saturated markets. If you want to see signs of a crash coming watch places where you can add to inventory levels quickly through new construction. If days on market in those places start to systematically increase it can be the first sign of a correction 1-2 years ahead. But right now I don't believe we're seeing that. And now with Dodd Frank scheduled to be rolled back that may fuel the market further, reducing the barriers to entry. So we may be in for the longest run ever in real estate, after one of the largest declines we ever witnessed (in our lifetimes for sure).
Rental Property Investor · Dayton, OH · Member since 2015 · 312 posts · 273 votes
8y
Hey Matt,
My own view is that suburban B neighborhoods will see the most selling pressure and possibly a slow motion train wreck over the next decade as boomers die. Other than boomers, who has the money for all those oversized, poorly built, overpriced, overleveraged, piddling cash flow homes/investments?
I think the opposite is true of inner city C neighborhoods - especially the more decent C+ deleveraged ones where homes go for under 50 k and just recently broke out over 50k for a fixed up places. That's a key threshold where many banks start lending. These you find here in Ohio, particularly Cleveland, Dayton, Toledo. Anywhere else? Detroit? These areas are poised to break out big time as leverage moves back in.
Investor · Columbus, GA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y
Real estate is local. The Seattle market will be affected by the city council's decisions, but it will not affect TX. Banks are all controlled by Fannie Mae guidelines. Otherwise, the bank can't sell the paper. "Peddling to the Poor" is just a headline. People still have to be qualified. If 76% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck, then everybody should be renting.
Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2018 · 97 posts · 48 votes
8y
Real estate is all location driven. The reckless loans of the 2005/6/7 are non-existent now. Lenders have been conservative in appraisals and require good down payment for mortgages. So even if the market drops 10% you won't see people foreclosing. I know people who bought 5/6 homes with no doenpayments in 2006 and foreclosed all of them. That is not there any more. We are trending towards normal market where the price appreciation will be in line with the inflation. Any one expecting a crash is going to be disappointed.
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
8y
this topic seems to come up weekly as business magazines look for hyperbole.
I am wondering what would create a crash... I can certainly see a slow down but a crash.. ??? Nation wide like 08 GFC which was global... so i guess if credit markets freeze like they did... that could happen.
but seems to me lenders are somewhat more prudent then they used to be.. FHA or USDA or VA has been with us for decades those are not the problems it was liar loans and investor loans..
and then credit freeze.. I mean think about it.. what if auto financing froze how many 80k Cadillac escalades would be sold for cash.. ????
Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2018 · 97 posts · 48 votes
8y
What could cause a crash?
1. IF lenders start lending recklessly (like no income verification, multiple loans with no down payment). (Bleak)
2.A big disaster happens in a location like what happened recently with volcanoes etc. (Possibility)
3. A world war. If this happens believe there are other things to worry aobout that just housing. I don't think the super powers would be even interested in a world war . (Bleak)
4. A localized event like what some people are talking about in Seattle. (Possibility)
5. If inflation spirals out of control forcing Fed. Reserve to bump the interest rates sky high. I don't think this will happen. Look at Japan and how long they have had their low interest rates. (Bleak)
Small-Time Bankers Make Millions Peddling Mortgages to the Poor - Bloomberg Business Week https://apple.news/A-FtZMr0uTJSudDsEPZrF-Q
Was I the only one who read the article? The article seems to be suggesting that we are headed to a crash because lenders are pushing unqualified buyers into loans they can't afford.
Investor · Columbus, GA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y
A prudent investor, which I aspire to be, shouldn't care if the market crashes, corrects, or continues upward. Unlike the last crash, I am in a much better position to take advantage of foreclosures than I was 10 years ago. And if you are not over-leveraged and you have plenty of cash flow, a crash is not a scary thing. It is a buying opportunity just like today is a selling opportunity if you want to take some gains.
Was I the only one who read the article? The article seems to be suggesting that we are headed to a crash because lenders are pushing unqualified buyers into loans they can't afford.
well then i say that simply is not True Anthony.. just try to be self employed and get a loan these days..
San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y
@Matthew Runfola It's not a matter of "if" but a matter of "when." No one knows when it will happen but it will...eventually. History has a way of repeating itself. ;)
Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
8y
Specifically where are you talking about? Statistically nationwide crashes are non existent. The 2008-20010 crash was an extreme anomaly. We are back to a more normal nationwide market meaning some geographical markets are behaving differently than others.
I have no doubt some markets will see downturns - quite possibly very soon. It is also quite possible we may not see another nationwide housing crash like we saw recently in our lifetimes. The exception being total economic crash which brings housing down with it.
Downers Grove, IL · Member since 2017 · 366 posts · 165 votes
8y
I see a correction coming 18-36 months out. Probably nothing like 2008. However, condos where I like to invest for cashflow likely will get hit harder and sooner than other parts of the market. As far as suburban B neighborhoods, cheap built single famlies not needing 30K plus in updates are selling in days by us. Don't see that changing any time soon, for good suburban locations, the far away stuff just like the condos, will take a harder and faster hit.
Specifically where are you talking about? Statistically nationwide crashes are non existent. The 2008-20010 crash was an extreme anomaly. We are back to a more normal nationwide market meaning some geographical markets are behaving differently than others.
I have no doubt some markets will see downturns - quite possibly very soon. It is also quite possible we may not see another nationwide housing crash like we saw recently in our lifetimes. The exception being total economic crash which brings housing down with it.
Right on. "Statistically nationwide crashes are non existent. The 2008-20010 crash was an extreme anomaly."
In fact, The crash was only 6 areas. 1) Maricopa County (Phoenix), 2) Clark County (Las Vegas), 3) Florida, 4) Riverside and Los Angeles Counties (California) 5) everybody's favorite, Wayne County (Detroit) and 6) Mrs. McGreggor's Health Spa and Fishin' Hole in Rosebud Montana.
Everywhere else was down some or stayed neutral. A few areas actually went up in value. The reasons the Crash happened no longer exist so they will find new reasons for a crash the next time. ;-) @Matthew Runfola
Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y
Not imminent, but coming. Probably not as "bad" as before but frankly I loved the post-crash buying opportunities. It would be smart to position yourself to make fees on transactions because I think we're going to see a big run up here shortly.
Sunnyvale , CA · Member since 2017 · 373 posts · 362 votes
8y
I wonder if during the depths of the recession people were discussing the massive boom that was upon us! I personally don’t recall hearing much of a chatter rather than how much worse things were going to get from how bad were. Not saying we won’t have a slowdown or crash or whatever but it just is interesting how human psychology works.
Rental Property Investor · Caledonia, IL · Member since 2015 · 289 posts · 213 votes
8y
Vic Anthony Ned spot on. These types of "the sky is falling " posts are nothing more than fear mongering IMHO. A "crash is coming " thats frankly irresponsible. The market is very healthy in the vast majority of the market. Overpriced and unsustainable markets like pockets of NYC/Seattle/Cali /NJ along with high real estate tax markets a different story. These markets have risen rapidly and will fall with the same velocity. They will experience a correction no doubt while the rest of the country will continue to stabilize and experience growth. EG... our market is 90-95% of it's peak before the correction so no a correction is not going to happen anytime soon.. Will there be leveling off of prices - certainly but a correction is not on the radar. Again like it's been said all markets are local even neighborhoods.
A prudent investor, which I aspire to be, shouldn't care if the market crashes, corrects, or continues upward. Unlike the last crash, I am in a much better position to take advantage of foreclosures than I was 10 years ago. And if you are not over-leveraged and you have plenty of cash flow, a crash is not a scary thing. It is a buying opportunity just like today is a selling opportunity if you want to take some gains.
I am in the position to handle a crash as I owe nothing to nobody
With the competitive and refuse to lose drive in me, it would drive me crazy if the market crashes and my properties are worth less than I paid for them!!!