Searching property ownership records

5 Replies

Locate your local assessor's office online (they are organized by county). There you can lookup by address, parcel number, and often by map. You should be able to get the info you need there.

Good Luck

It is a great tool for starting out! Look for run down properties and start to contact the owners. See if they are interested in selling. If someone is letting a property run down, there is likely a reason.

This is a technique the realtors and seasoned investors use. Its never to early to start out and practice those calls.

Hi! I have found a run down property with LOTS of potential! I've found the owners names and they're in their late 60's, early 70s. I've called the landline number I found with no response, and am not sure if they are living in the home anymore as the grass is long and the cars look like they haven't moved in years. I saw a neighbor and asked him and he said the house has always looked run down and doesn't know anything about the people that live there, (He's never even seen them, CREEPY!!!). 
Does anyone have any recommendations of what to try next?? I'm Stuck!! I don't want to give up because this could sell for over $500K and the current owners bought it for $225K in 1999, so there could be a lot of potential here!  Thank you!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you