CPA and/or lawyer before doing my first deal?

8 Replies

Hello Bigger Pockets! I am a new investor looking to do my first deal. I could use some insight on the importance of hiring or at least speaking with a CPA and/or lawyer. I have read quite a few books and listen to the podcasts daily and it seems this is mentioned in almost every discussion. Also any guidance on finding the equitable CPA and/or lawyer is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your opinions!

@Brendan Harvey Both the CPA and the lawyer will need to know what kind of real estate investing you are planning on doing.

Are you going to do Fix & Flip or Buy & Hold or do Short Term Rentals or Commercial or Lending Money (Notes) or what? How much will you be putting into your real estate? Will you keep your day job? Are you an accredited investor or no? What goals do you have? Will you be having partners? Are you long term or short term investing? What if the market turns? What role will you play in the investing, Active or Passive? and so on.

@Brendan Harvey imo go buy a deal and then talk to a CPA or lawyer if you need to. People over think this. Find a deal that will make you money buy good liability insurance and when you start making money find a CPA to help you keep some extra bucks and a lawyer to protect the bucks you have. But step one is make some money.

What would be the purpose of hiring a CPA or Attorney before buying your first property? Unless you are forming an LLC or are getting the money from a complicated taxation withdrawal, I don't see the need. I believe they mention those things on the podcasts as a way of CYA (Cover your A**). The same way attorney's on this blog like to remind us they are not our attorney, nor are they giving legal advice.

Get a good real estate agent, a really good banker/lender, and use the BP calculators to evaluate and buy a deal! And then get a cpa to pay as little taxes as possible. When you find the need for a cpa or attorney, get a referral from somebody at a REIA meeting, or from your banker or real estate agent.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you