Wholesaling Earnest deposit

7 Replies

I found a deal on a preforeclosure. The owner is requesting earnest money to be held in escrow before he sign “the agreement to assigncontract for purchase and sale” contract. What do I do from here. Do I find a buyer to fund the deposit even though there’s no sign contract?

Not an expert, but it seems to me that the earnest money and the contract should happen at the same time. if you don't have $500 to $1000 for earnest money, who do you know who does that you could share the profits with?

@Lekisha Cole  earnest money is typically deposited after an agreement is signed. Most agreements have a window of a few days after agreement signing (or binding agreement date) for earnest money deposits to be made but it is something that can and often is negotiated. I think the bigger issue here is the Seller's trust. Work to build rapport, figure out their needs and then highlight how your accomplishments can help to solve their needs.  

I would encourage you to deposit the money to get the agreement signed if you're working with a Seller who's requiring you to put up what you would deem a small amount of money. If it is a sizable amount of money, we would explain the way things are done and do other things to build rapport and trust with the Seller. It can be helpful to have an authority figure like your closing attorney to explain the way deals are typically done with the Seller.

We've put up earnest money deposits large and small, slowly and immediately to not only closing attorneys but also directly in the Sellers' hands. Giving money directly to sellers is not typical for us and we only do it when it makes sense for the specific situation.

I hope it helps! 

P.S. Apologies for my delayed response here. Thanks for the shout @Amanda G.  

If they are in foreclosure, don't sign unless you can perform. Failing to do so will harm the seller. When you sign a contract, HONOR your commitment. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you