Open Carry, Concealed carry or no carry while do business

Open Carry, Concealed carry or no carry while do business

Property Manager · San Antonio Texas · Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 29 votes

I am an advocate of "its better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it" I do know some people don't feel comfortable with open carry. I have heard the argument it is safer for some people to draw and protect themselves while open carry. Just wanted to get others opinion. 

15Reply
304 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
7y

Open carry is an immediate deterrent. However, someone that's not planning a crime and not familiar with guns (thanks, media!) may see it as a threat so concealed carry may be better. I don't think there's a perfect answer.

When I carry, which is rare, I carry concealed just because I don't want to be seen as a threat to anyone.

No matter which one you choose, be sure to practice and ensure you are comfortable with the draw and know how to carry safely with one in the chamber. You may not have time to rack when the time comes.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

113 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Martinsburg, WV · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    Everyone has an opinion on the question and many are eager to share it. No biggie. But when people who have little-to-no experience with weapons start projecting on to /diagnosing those who do, it is a bit much.

    According to the responses here, because a person carries a firearm, they are...

    * compensating for their small manhood (women carry too)

    * Afraid/scared

    * a “little man” (again, women carry too)

    * have a superiority complex

    * some other negative thing

    The same things are said about people who drive big trucks. Makes me wonder if the people who say such things are the afflicted.

    My point is: the question is about open vs concealed vs no carry for a RE business. Be nice and answer the question. Please do not disparage people who choose to carry. Not only is it unnecessary, but one day one of us may save your life.

  • Investor · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Dan Jacobs:

    Everyone has an opinion on the question and many are eager to share it. No biggie. But when people who have little-to-no experience with weapons start projecting on to /diagnosing those who do, it is a bit much.

    According to the responses here, because a person carries a firearm, they are...

    * compensating for their small manhood (women carry too)

    * Afraid/scared

    * a “little man” (again, women carry too)

    * have a superiority complex

    * some other negative thing

    The same things are said about people who drive big trucks. Makes me wonder if the people who say such things are the afflicted.

    My point is: the question is about open vs concealed vs no carry for a RE business. Be nice and answer the question. Please do not disparage people who choose to carry. Not only is it unnecessary, but one day one of us may save your life.

    For me personally I dont see the purpose of open carry and can't see me doing it. If I did in the military and if I wanted to know Id become a cop. I think most of the gun rights debate is centered on a fear factor. I dont fear the business I'm in. Now, I did bring a weapon to one of my very rough units because it was vacant and there was reasons to believe there were break ins and people could have been inside. Outside of that, I dont naturally feel I'm in danger because I have an accurate and grounded perception of what the situation actually is. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Louisville, KY · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Scott Mac:

    Open carry of a sidearm looks intimidating to many people.

    The question is do you want to look intimidating to your tenants and those who might see you. Maybe yes, maybe no.

    Just don't break the laws of your area.

    Good Luck!

    I think the question is whether you want to look like a threat to the police and other trigger happy wannabe vigilantes (yes, could be one of your tenants). Open carry makes YOU the target, IMO. The "good guy" with a gun looks the exact same as the "bad guy" with a gun. So how does one tell the difference? 

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    The laws...Die but don't break the laws. Forgetaboutit...Being from Arizona (and don't sweat it going back soon) I believe everyone should carry at all times. If your afraid of looking intimidating, by all means conceal. It is not uncommon for people to carry exposed in AZ and it creates no issue unless some jackass doesn't know how to act. I know a couple of female real estate agents that may not have been raped and murdered if they had just pack a little 380 auto in their purses. After that happened and several agents announced on tv they were packing from then on the cs that was doing it stopped.

  • Steve O.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · West Caldwell, NJ · Member since 2019 · 104 posts · 65 votes
    7y

    Things been crazy last few months in Newburg !!

  • Lakewood, OH · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Please stop with “this is made up by the media!” If you are a navy seal and want to carry, great! You can tell a threat from a distance and keep everyone around you safe.  Now, if you pack and go to the range a couple of times a week, you are making all of us unsafe. Even police officers miss several shots during gun fights. This is not the media, it happens. It is completely different to shoot at a target that is not moving vs shooting at someone that is shooting back at you. Or you have the one that gets too excited too easily and just shoots. I don’t know how can you say that you are more likely to die from a car accident. I have been driving hundreds of thousands of miles and been driven hundreds of thousands of miles and I’m ok. Name some civilian that has been in hundreds of thousands of gun fights and is ok. If you want to pack and feel like the Lone Ranger, buy a ps4 and play red dead redemption.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bloomfield CT · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 408 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Renay Reese:

    I am an advocate of "its better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it" I do know some people don't feel comfortable with open carry. I have heard the argument it is safer for some people to draw and protect themselves while open carry. Just wanted to get others opinion. 


     I used to open carry until the libtards in Connecticut changed our laws. I think my guidance would be to just carry and don't focus on manner. Any time required to draw often does not matter.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bloomfield CT · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 408 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

    However, someone that's not planning a crime and not familiar with guns (thanks, media!) may see it as a threat so concealed carry may be better. 

    When Connecticut had open carry laws,the police department got used to asking a caller to describe the individual. They got tired of dispatching officers to say hello to me and my complaining about them not bringing bon-bons to the call.
  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    I carry a very small, very light 8 shot 22 caliber revolver everywhere that's legal. It's all I really need in a CCW and with it being small and light, odds are good I'll always find it easy to carry.  I'm not Mr. Tactical.  I'm Mr. boring property law.  However I live in a state that has venemous snakes, alligators, wild hogs, pumas, coyotes, bobcats, feral dogs, etc....  Need to have the option to be ready for that kind of thing.  Gave up high capacity 9mm and 45s a long time ago.

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8mo

    Update, since moving to Raleigh, I don't have to worry about half the wild critters I had to in Florida.  Also, honestly....people are so much cooler here.  Not to say that there's not the occasional crazy, but it's WAY different here.  I switched up to another caliber I'm not going to disclose.  The reason why is I don't want anyone knowing and it's obsolete and hard to find.  Let's call it the 37 Blufennhaffer.  Why do I do this?  Let's say I'm accused of using it.  Ok.  Can you find any examples of anyone or anything shot with a 37 Blufenhaffer?  No?  Guess it wasn't me then, right?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bloomfield CT · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 408 votes
    7mo

    Currently live in a concealed carry only state. I always carry 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.