Bank loan on a 75k property or less, is it possible?

93 Replies

I have notice that many (majority) banks don’t like to lend on a property less than 75k. If that’s the case what happens to those that try to purchase properties that are less than 75k? For example in markets like: Detroit, South Carolina or Alabama?

Thanks,

@ Joel Gierbolini  We do not have restrictions on lower loan amount as long as prosperities are in livable condition.  I think its The $30k rental club thread which you can follow for more lenders information.  

@Joel Gierbolini

Technically speaking, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac have no minimum loan amount restrictions. Lenders have overlays. Many have overlays because it's more labor intensive to originate a 30K loan than 300K loan and the lender makes considerably less money.

Those low loan amounts give lenders problems because they become high cost loans.

@Joel Gierbolini  

A lot of banks do not have a lower limit, but at some point the cost of financing actually brings you a lower or similar return on investment than buying cash. My commercial lender will go down to 50k for my clients, but they only do it because I send them volume and I always have to buy them a few bottles of wine for doing so.

Originally posted by @Joel Gierbolini :

@Keyonte Summers I have tried and I have not been lucky. Any recommendations?

Have you tried like huntington bank not sure if it is one down there but you might have to call a few more financial institutions every place is a it different.

There are places that will create loans for less than 75K. I just purchased a rental for 57K. I used Randolph-Brooks Federal Credit Union (RBFCU) in Texas for the loan. The downside is that they required 25% down, because I purchase my properties through my LLC and the loan is considered a business loan.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here