Single Family Homes 50k or Less

46 Replies

I'm looking to invest in long term rentals anywhere in the nation in Single Family homes 50k or less. Where are the best places to accomplish this? Where are the better areas to do this, where rents are solid etc.

Thank you!

I cannot answer your question as to what or where is the best place. I can tell you that 3 years ago I purchased a turn key ready single family home in Dayton Ohio for 34,000 and last week I purchased one there for 42,000.

Best of luck.

Life is but a dream.

@Brandon McBride In most any market, homes in this price range are going to be in  D class neighborhoods that are not going to attract good tenants. We were selling properties in this price range in Indianapolis 5 years ago that are now selling for double that.

same here not all $50K-$60K are in C or D areas.  that is always the perception of lower valued homes. Which works in our favor a lot of the time who are investing in these properties.

We have 30 rentals in Indiana all in the 50K range and do very well with them.  Don'y believe the people who tell you people in lower neighborhoods are bad tenants.   There are good  (and bad) people in every neighborhood.

Typically, homes that can be purchased for 50k or less are purchased for the cash flow they provide.  Many of those properties will not appreciate much, but if you are investing solely for cash flow, they are a good place to start.

Originally posted by @Greg Carrier :

We have 30 rentals in Indiana all in the 50K range and do very well with them.  Don'y believe the people who tell you people in lower neighborhoods are bad tenants.   There are good  (and bad) people in every neighborhood.

Where in Indiana do you have your rentals if you don't mind me asking? 

Originally posted by @Sean McDonnell :

Typically, homes that can be purchased for 50k or less are purchased for the cash flow they provide.  Many of those properties will not appreciate much, but if you are investing solely for cash flow, they are a good place to start.

Thank you! Yes, I'm looking for cash flow. Are there any areas that you would recommend? 

@Brandon McBride   North Central.  We have purchased houses from as far west as Michigan City and as far east as Garrett Indiana.  Lots to pick from and lots of action in real estate in NW indiana as lots of chicago area commuters.  It is just a little far for our crews to drive that distance.

Funny how On here everyone in a hot market in a major thriving city thinks that lower priced homes under 50k are junker houses in the hood that can’t appreciate ! 

Just goes to prove you don’t know what you don’t know ! For the love of Pete step out of your bubble folks !  There’s more to America than your booming metropolitan city lol I’ve bought Nice houses for far less that have been wonderful safe investments and in decent areas too. 

Hey Brandon, Erie Pennsylvania is a great place to find decent homes in blue collar areas for 50k. Send me a message if you would like to know more.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you