Uncooperative Seller’s agent

6 Replies

Good afternoon BP community.

I have a question regarding a situation I’m in and maybe someone can give me some input from their experience.

I have a specific property I am interested in and already saw it.

For about a week now My broker is trying to get financial information from the sellers broker but we keep getting mixed answers regarding the utilities, leases.

Last time we asked for clarification, the sellers broker said that the information he gave us is what he has and that’s it.

My question is as follows:

Can I contact the seller myself ( not in an attempt to avoid Paying the real estate agents, but to actually get the information we want from the owner).

I did find the owner here on BP but still haven’t contacted him yet.

I believe that their real estate agent is not being very helpful , in a situation where I do want to put an offer already, but would like to receive answers for important questions before doing so.

I actually feel like I would be helping the seller if I contacted him, because his real estate agent is not really eager to get this deal done in my opinion.

What are your thoughts ?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Ben.

@Ben Meller The seller's agent may well be acting on the instructions by the seller. They might not be wanting to share numbers with you because the numbers may not be all that good and they are hoping for another buyer to come along who won't be asking the questions you are asking. Another thought is that the Agent may not want to share commission with your agent and wants a direct buyer to come along. I would go ahead and contact the seller in any event.

The seller hired an agent for a reason.  Communication should flow through the agent. If you dont think your request is getting through, just ask for a seller signature on a form confirming theyve received the request. 

@Ben Meller the seller’s agent will probably take these requests a lot more seriously after you get it under contract. Write your contract based on your own numbers, include contingencies in case you are off by a lot and then ask for whatever financial documents you need during your due diligence period. In my experience sellers don’t disclose financials until under contract except maybe a rough pro-forma that I don’t trust anyway.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you