Tenet wanting to break lease

4 Replies

I have a tenet in Michigan that called yesterday to say she got accepted into senior housing. We are 3 months into a 12 month lease. What are my legal rights? Can I go after the remaining 9 months of rent for her breaching the lease?

@Derek Kroeger trying to enforce the lease will cost you a lot of money and unnecessary headaches, I would let them walk away as long as they're up to date on rent and leave the unit in good conditions. 

It might be frustrating but with all the tenant protection laws out there (especially since Covid) it could be way worse. 

@Derek Kroeger

I agree with the other two. For the future, I've heard of people adding a part to their lease about breaking it early, saying something where the tenant has to pay equivalent of 2 months rent to break it early.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you