• Rental Property Investor
  • Wakeman, OH
Votes |
HELOC lender help PLEASE!!!

James Duke
  • Wakeman, OH
Posted May 27 2023, 05:36

All these "approval in 5 minutes" lenders online for HELOCS that offer 13% interest rates.........Is this the going rate for a HELOC??

They all seem to have the same application software that does a soft credit pull and spits out results... For example "Movement mortgage" and "Homebridge"  

Does everyone "shop around" for HELOC? Some people charge for appraisals and credit scores fees up front. So how do you shop around without wasting so much time and money? My mortgage broker I contacted through a FB ohio real estate page "Krichbaum Financial" just sent me a link to "Homebridge." Do i need a broker for that??

Thank you,   getting frustrated.

James

User Stats

Votes
Devin Peterson
  • Lender
Votes |
  • Lender
Replied May 27 2023, 06:32

Yes you do homebridge is good heloc option. 70cltv and 1unit max - it’s wholesale side so you will need to submit through your broker 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied May 27 2023, 06:37
Quote from @James Duke:

All these "approval in 5 minutes" lenders online for HELOCS that offer 13% interest rates.........Is this the going rate for a HELOC??

They all seem to have the same application software that does a soft credit pull and spits out results... For example "Movement mortgage" and "Homebridge"  

Does everyone "shop around" for HELOC? Some people charge for appraisals and credit scores fees up front. So how do you shop around without wasting so much time and money? My mortgage broker I contacted through a FB ohio real estate page "Krichbaum Financial" just sent me a link to "Homebridge." Do i need a broker for that??

Thank you,   getting frustrated.

James

Talk to a local credit union, are rates out our CU are around 7.75% 

ON another note though, we buy loans on the secondary market and the HELOC's / 2nd's we are seeing being sold right now are between 10-14% interest rate, but many of these are past the initial lockup period.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
James Duke
  • Wakeman, OH
Votes |
  • Wakeman, OH
Replied May 27 2023, 10:02

Thank you for all your input. I will start to target my local credit unions.  

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 27 2023, 12:23

I know someone who just did one through their regular bank.  The rate was prime +1% (so 7.7%)-this is in Canada.  It is higher than a mortgage rate here (6+%), but interest only.

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Baird
Pro Member
  • Melbourne, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Melbourne, FL
Replied May 27 2023, 13:43

@James Duke, You might also try KeyBank, which lends in Ohio.  Or small community banks, and local credit unions. 

User Stats

Votes
James Duke
  • Wakeman, OH
Votes |
  • Wakeman, OH
Replied May 28 2023, 06:24

Thank you Kerry!

User Stats

Votes
Ke Nan Wang
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • St. Augustine, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • St. Augustine, FL
Replied May 28 2023, 06:38
Quote from @Theresa Harris:

I know someone who just did one through their regular bank.  The rate was prime +1% (so 7.7%)-this is in Canada.  It is higher than a mortgage rate here (6+%), but interest only.

So this is a dumb question and I apologize for my little knowledge in loan structure and policies. I just realized Canada has much better prime rate than US. So if a person have great credit score and income in the U.S., can they get a loan from a Canadian Financial Institution at a lower interest rate? Or another question, if the property is in U.S., can a homeowner get a HELOC from a Canadian bank???

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 28 2023, 06:55
Quote from @Ke Nan Wang:
Quote from @Theresa Harris:

So this is a dumb question and I apologize for my little knowledge in loan structure and policies. I just realized Canada has much better prime rate than US. So if a person have great credit score and income in the U.S., can they get a loan from a Canadian Financial Institution at a lower interest rate? Or another question, if the property is in U.S., can a homeowner get a HELOC from a Canadian bank???

I don't know how that works. I think if you are Canadian and want to buy a house in the US, you might be able to borrow from a Canadian bank. If you are American and want to buy in Canada, you can borrow from a Canadian bank. You could then take a HELOC on the Canadian property and use that money for whatever you wanted.

Our mortgages also work differently in that you may have a 25 year amortization period, but the term of the loan may be 5 years meaning after 5 years, you renew it at whatever the current interest rate is that the bank will give you (there are no fees associated with the renewal if you are at the same bank).  They just started doing 7 and 10 year terms which I wish I knew about when I renewed my mortgages last time as I'd have taken that option with the lower interest rates.

User Stats

Votes
Dennis Muno
  • Lender
  • Denton, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Denton, TX
Replied Jun 3 2023, 09:28

I would recommend you try another mortgage broker locally, who is close to you

Your mortgage broker should be shopping and providing you with HELOC options, costs, fees, and not just directing you to the lender page, in my opinion. That is poor service.

Yes, it is best you shop around. The more you shop, the likelier you are to find something that works better for you

User Stats

Votes
James Duke
  • Wakeman, OH
Votes |
  • Wakeman, OH
Replied Jun 3 2023, 09:51

Thank you for the advice!! I will go that.  I appreciate your time!!

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Baird
Pro Member
  • Melbourne, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Melbourne, FL
Replied Aug 25 2023, 05:58

@James Duke, what was the result of your searching?