I am just getting started in my real estate investing journey and I received an unsolicited message from Cogo Capital, a hard money lender focused on investors. I do not have many resources, but I am comfortable taking some risk and relying on my intelligence and research. However, before I engage with this company I wanted to ask the BP community if anyone had dealt with them or has any feedback on them. I appreciate it!
Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
2y
Certified broker? Really?
I took two business law courses in college. Do you think the state bar would have a problem with me calling myself a certified lawyer? And what about that high school biology? Could I call myself a certified
doctor?
The term Certified Broker is intentionally deceptive in my view. “Broker” is a legal term that often requires standardized coursework and a state license. Try pulling this crap in CA and see if the DRE has a problem with it.
Interesting that COGO Capital references their CA DRE Brokers license on their website. I mean, why bother to practice what you preach?
You don’t have to pay $20k+ to learn to broker loans. Most of the large lenders have affiliate programs and will teach you for free to represent them. Otherwise, broker classes that lead to a real license are cheap.
If you want to become a real broker, earn a real license.
Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
2y
@Kenneth Tiedemann
It’s run by someone named Lee Arnold who runs multiple businesses
It’s a legit business meaning it’s not some scam that will take your deposit and run. I have never used them so i cannot comment and how they are as a lender
Hi Kenneth! I recently received a business loan broker certification through Lee’s system. I am now set to start another program in Lee’s system in the morning. The programs are not cheap, but they are legit. You will not only achieve a status upgrade in the market of RE investing, you are given the opportunity to have the knowledge to back it up. My name is Sonya Waites and if you have questions, I don’t mind answering them based on my own personal experience. Hope that helped!
Hi Kenneth! I recently received a business loan broker certification through Lee’s system. I am now set to start another program in Lee’s system in the morning. The programs are not cheap, but they are legit. You will not only achieve a status upgrade in the market of RE investing, you are given the opportunity to have the knowledge to back it up. My name is Sonya Waites and if you have questions, I don’t mind answering them based on my own personal experience. Hope that helped!
Hi Kenneth! I recently received a business loan broker certification through Lee’s system. I am now set to start another program in Lee’s system in the morning. The programs are not cheap, but they are legit. You will not only achieve a status upgrade in the market of RE investing, you are given the opportunity to have the knowledge to back it up. My name is Sonya Waites and if you have questions, I don’t mind answering them based on my own personal experience. Hope that helped!
Curious - what is a certified private lender? I am familiar with being licensed thru nmls but never heard of any other type of certification
means nothing.. its just a private company non accredited.. with some training on how to lend.. hopefully a step up from not knowing what they dont know about lending. I have been paid off by Cogo loans so I know it happens.
Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
2y
Certified broker? Really?
I took two business law courses in college. Do you think the state bar would have a problem with me calling myself a certified lawyer? And what about that high school biology? Could I call myself a certified
doctor?
The term Certified Broker is intentionally deceptive in my view. “Broker” is a legal term that often requires standardized coursework and a state license. Try pulling this crap in CA and see if the DRE has a problem with it.
Interesting that COGO Capital references their CA DRE Brokers license on their website. I mean, why bother to practice what you preach?
You don’t have to pay $20k+ to learn to broker loans. Most of the large lenders have affiliate programs and will teach you for free to represent them. Otherwise, broker classes that lead to a real license are cheap.
If you want to become a real broker, earn a real license.
I took two business law courses in college. Do you think the state bar would have a problem with me calling myself a certified lawyer? And what about that high school biology? Could I call myself a certified
doctor?
The term Certified Broker is intentionally deceptive in my view. “Broker” is a legal term that often requires standardized coursework and a state license. Try pulling this crap in CA and see if the DRE has a problem with it.
Interesting that COGO Capital references their CA DRE Brokers license on their website. I mean, why bother to practice what you preach?
You don’t have to pay $20k+ to learn to broker loans. Most of the large lenders have affiliate programs and will teach you for free to represent them. Otherwise, broker classes that lead to a real license are cheap.
If you want to become a real broker, earn a real license.
They actually have a licensed person in California. Maybe learn something before commenting.
Curious - what is a certified private lender? I am familiar with being licensed thru nmls but never heard of any other type of certification
means nothing.. its just a private company non accredited.. with some training on how to lend.. hopefully a step up from not knowing what they dont know about lending. I have been paid off by Cogo loans so I know it happens.
A lot of training actually. Weekly sessions like CE in a way. A full back office. 3 workbooks to use in the 40 hour class.
Curious - what is a certified private lender? I am familiar with being licensed thru nmls but never heard of any other type of certification
means nothing.. its just a private company non accredited.. with some training on how to lend.. hopefully a step up from not knowing what they dont know about lending. I have been paid off by Cogo loans so I know it happens.
A lot of training actually. Weekly sessions like CE in a way. A full back office. 3 workbooks to use in the 40 hour c
I get it just like any non certified or accredited training.. not saying its bad. but its not a state license so not governed by any state and there is no NMLS registration required.. One can do lending of a commerical nature in about 32 states legally the others you need to be an MLO and NMLS registered. Or like California a RE Broker like myself or Consumer finance license all which are regulated by the state . In all the other states where this is legal there is no state or fed reporting or oversight.. thats the point.. So anyone can put together the courses and sell them just like any other RE Guru out there teach their tips and tricks.
AAPL is another one that is just a private organization that teach's folks how to lend their own money or others in states its legal and they have courses and info and a big convention etc and you get to say your certified AAPL lender .. And the idea is that folks that dont know any better assume your on another level or up there with real MLO's and NMLS registered lenders like myself.. All though I am inactive but one can pop on NMLS and find me :) And like I said I have been paid off by Cogo itself so i know they do pull some loans through the knot hole.. Not sure their volume its certainly not like Kiavi or lima or one of the big players.. There is as we know HUGE money in training and thats what I have seen from Lee Arnold over the years.. Smart bizz man.
Curious - what is a certified private lender? I am familiar with being licensed thru nmls but never heard of any other type of certification
means nothing.. its just a private company non accredited.. with some training on how to lend.. hopefully a step up from not knowing what they dont know about lending. I have been paid off by Cogo loans so I know it happens.
A lot of training actually. Weekly sessions like CE in a way. A full back office. 3 workbooks to use in the 40 hour c
I get it just like any non certified or accredited training.. not saying its bad. but its not a state license so not governed by any state and there is no NMLS registration required.. One can do lending of a commerical nature in about 32 states legally the others you need to be an MLO and NMLS registered. Or like California a RE Broker like myself or Consumer finance license all which are regulated by the state . In all the other states where this is legal there is no state or fed reporting or oversight.. thats the point.. So anyone can put together the courses and sell them just like any other RE Guru out there teach their tips and tricks.
AAPL is another one that is just a private organization that teach's folks how to lend their own money or others in states its legal and they have courses and info and a big convention etc and you get to say your certified AAPL lender .. And the idea is that folks that dont know any better assume your on another level or up there with real MLO's and NMLS registered lenders like myself.. All though I am inactive but one can pop on NMLS and find me :) And like I said I have been paid off by Cogo itself so i know they do pull some loans through the knot hole.. Not sure their volume its certainly not like Kiavi or lima or one of the big players.. There is as we know HUGE money in training and thats what I have seen from Lee Arnold over the years.. Smart bizz man.
AAPL
is another one that is just a private organization that teach's folks
how to lend their own money or others in states its legal and they have
courses and info and a big convention etc and you get to say your
certified AAPL lender .. And the idea is that folks that dont know any
better assume your on another level or up there with real MLO's and NMLS
registered lenders like myself.. All though I am inactive but one can
pop on NMLS and find me :) And like I said I have been paid off by
Cogo itself so i know they do pull some loans through the knot hole..
Not sure their volume its certainly not like Kiavi or lima or one of the
big players.. There is as we know HUGE money in training and thats what
I have seen from Lee Arnold over the years.. Smart bizz man. redid this as it ran together in Nates posts.
Curious - what is a certified private lender? I am familiar with being licensed thru nmls but never heard of any other type of certification
means nothing.. its just a private company non accredited.. with some training on how to lend.. hopefully a step up from not knowing what they dont know about lending. I have been paid off by Cogo loans so I know it happens.
A lot of training actually. Weekly sessions like CE in a way. A full back office. 3 workbooks to use in the 40 hour c
I get it just like any non certified or accredited training.. not saying its bad. but its not a state license so not governed by any state and there is no NMLS registration required.. One can do lending of a commerical nature in about 32 states legally the others you need to be an MLO and NMLS registered. Or like California a RE Broker like myself or Consumer finance license all which are regulated by the state . In all the other states where this is legal there is no state or fed reporting or oversight.. thats the point.. So anyone can put together the courses and sell them just like any other RE Guru out there teach their tips and tricks.
AAPL is another one that is just a private organization that teach's folks how to lend their own money or others in states its legal and they have courses and info and a big convention etc and you get to say your certified AAPL lender .. And the idea is that folks that dont know any better assume your on another level or up there with real MLO's and NMLS registered lenders like myself.. All though I am inactive but one can pop on NMLS and find me :) And like I said I have been paid off by Cogo itself so i know they do pull some loans through the knot hole.. Not sure their volume its certainly not like Kiavi or lima or one of the big players.. There is as we know HUGE money in training and thats what I have seen from Lee Arnold over the years.. Smart bizz man.
AAPL
is another one that is just a private organization that teach's folks
how to lend their own money or others in states its legal and they have
courses and info and a big convention etc and you get to say your
certified AAPL lender .. And the idea is that folks that dont know any
better assume your on another level or up there with real MLO's and NMLS
registered lenders like myself.. All though I am inactive but one can
pop on NMLS and find me :) And like I said I have been paid off by
Cogo itself so i know they do pull some loans through the knot hole..
Not sure their volume its certainly not like Kiavi or lima or one of the
big players.. There is as we know HUGE money in training and thats what
I have seen from Lee Arnold over the years.. Smart bizz man. redid this as it ran together in Nates posts.
I have been to AAPLs conference. Sponsored at Pitbull/NPLA. I have done deals with Lima, Lending One, Groundfloor, COGO and a number of family offices. Life Changing is my go to now as their owners and 5 of their loan officers have even joined my group. So when you have lenders paying to join its a sign.
Attorney · Boston, MA · Member since 2018 · 109 posts · 63 votes
2y
Cogo is a total scam... lots of fees on the front end. They're also happy to commit to whatever your closing date is and blow right through it. Hope you don't put down large earnest money deposits... these guys will make sure you lose them!
Cogo is a total scam... lots of fees on the front end. They're also happy to commit to whatever your closing date is and blow right through it. Hope you don't put down large earnest money deposits... these guys will make sure you lose them!
Well since your an attorney and have taken the lead.. I personally concur .. they charge 6k to join the club they bring in folks who have no experience and set them lose.. with so called training.. With the idea you get your 6k back when fund deal/deals MLM all the way sell the futures and the deals that Cogo did pay me off on as you stated took forever to fund and the rates were even higher than mine :) Its just a very good Guru selling his stuff we all know they make the money selling the 6k how to become a lender. :)
Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2024 · 6 posts · 2 votes
2y
COGO is legit, but I can beat them usually on origination points. Make sure you research multiple options to see what fits best for your real estate goals. good luck!
Yes. I fell for the hype. I ended up being out of over $30,000. They would refuse to close any good deals that I got. No reason stated I had great credit score cash on hand excellent properties. I believe they just didn't want to return to cash I paid up front. They have a person named Austin who was just atrocious. Rude and did everything to discourage any deal. They didn't honor the closing dates so I lost deals because of it. And it's hard to have anybody respond back to your calls for any reason. This is just a bad idea all the way around
Cogo is a total scam... lots of fees on the front end. They're also happy to commit to whatever your closing date is and blow right through it. Hope you don't put down large earnest money deposits... these guys will make sure you lose them!
Cogo is a total scam... lots of fees on the front end. They're also happy to commit to whatever your closing date is and blow right through it. Hope you don't put down large earnest money deposits... these guys will make sure you lose them!
Referring you to COGO's legal team for defamation!
Cogo is a total scam... lots of fees on the front end. They're also happy to commit to whatever your closing date is and blow right through it. Hope you don't put down large earnest money deposits... these guys will make sure you lose them!
Referring you to COGO's legal team for legal action!
Please do that sir. I would welcome it. I'm well documented and ready to go. Everything I noted are facts. I have more. I should be refunded my money. So should others dupped into believing they can do cash deals. Realtors hate seeing cogo on any property deals
Please do that sir. I would welcome it. I'm well documented and ready to go. Everything I noted are facts. I have more. I should be refunded my money. So should others dupped into believing they can do cash deals. Realtors hate seeing cogo on any property deals