Advice for an Experienced Investor ( with no local experience at all)
Hi, Everyone. I just wanted to introduce myself. I am based in Australia and an Australian citizen looking to start investing in Duplex to 4plex-style residential. Perhaps you could say I am an experienced property investor, but I have precisely zero experience purchasing real estate in your country. In the past, I have owned residential real estate in remote locations ( other countries than my own ) and been successful in buy-and-flip, buy-and-hold, and some simple small-townhouse developments. Right now, I am reading everything I can and preparing for my next research trip to North Carolina. My goals are not too crazy, but I do want to establish a portfolio that is significant to my family over the next ten years. Back home, I work as a mortgage broker. My real passion is residential real estate. I don't know if any of my experience will transfer to your country, but I have noticed over the years that despite the number crunching and research, real estate is ( for me at least ) a people business. That is, the real task is to find good like-minded people. Buying sight unseen is not an issue for me, but I would only buy in locations I have visited and walked. Anyway, I value everyone's time, and just in case you see my name pop up in a forum thread, you will have some context.