What do you think about these DSCR rates and fees?

What do you think about these DSCR rates and fees?

Su PakPro Member
Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2020 · 48 posts · 23 votes

Hi, I'm looking to refinance my Canton, OH (44714) BRRR property. Assumptions I provided to a mortgage broker is below. Below that was her response to a 30 yr fixed rate DSCR rates, plus origination and underwriting fees.

I would appreciate this community's thoughts on these rates, origination and underwriting fees. Thank you!

Assumptions:

Credit 720

Single Family Investment Property

Property Value: $120k

Amount financed: $90k or 75% LTV

NO Pre-Payment Penalty (not allowed in Ohio)

DSCR Ratio 1.25+

30 YR Fixed Rate DSCR:

  • 8.250% with $2475 in discount points. P&I payment: $660
  • 8.125% with $2148 in points. P&I payment: $668
  • 8.25% with $1800 in points. P&I payment: $676
  • 8.375% with $1462 in points. P&I payment: $684
  • 8.875% with $0 points. P&I payment: $716


Origination Fee: $4500

Underwriting fee: $1395

2Reply
84 views

Most Popular Reply

Devin PetersonBusiness Member
Lender · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2022 · 2k+ posts · 664 votes
2y

Not going to comment on high or low because a lot of people underestimate the time and work that goes into a loan, underwriting, and tracking docs. etc. Lenders and brokers are paid by the loan amount. To a certain extent, it's not worth it to work on files with tough conditions without a bottom-line base origination fee. So that's probably why you're experiencing "higher" fees. The same goes for lenders and the rate. Loan servicing companies put in the same time and manpower to service a loan that is 90K compared to one that is 900K - there's no difference. That is why rates are higher on smaller loan amounts. I think a greater appreciation for the work lenders and brokers go through needs to be understood more. It's the same case for hiring a highly referred plumber who will fix the leak and a few other things for the right price, or take the new guy no one has ever heard from and your leak has now turned into an explosion. 

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Member since 2021 · 495 posts · 130 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Su Pak:

    Hi, I'm looking to refinance my Canton, OH (44714) BRRR property. Assumptions I provided to a mortgage broker is below. Below that was her response to a 30 yr fixed rate DSCR rates, plus origination and underwriting fees.

    I would appreciate this community's thoughts on these rates, origination and underwriting fees. Thank you!

    Assumptions:

    Credit 720

    Single Family Investment Property

    Property Value: $120k

    Amount financed: $90k or 75% LTV

    NO Pre-Payment Penalty (not allowed in Ohio)

    DSCR Ratio 1.25+

    30 YR Fixed Rate DSCR:

    • 8.250% with $2475 in discount points. P&I payment: $660
    • 8.125% with $2148 in points. P&I payment: $668
    • 8.25% with $1800 in points. P&I payment: $676
    • 8.375% with $1462 in points. P&I payment: $684
    • 8.875% with $0 points. P&I payment: $716


    Origination Fee: $4500

    Underwriting fee: $1395

    Based on what you presented, it does seem high. Even for no prepayment penalty and a lower loan amount. We’re close to 1% less and at less costs too! Let me know if you want a second look.
  • Brandon BeardtPro Member
    Lender · La Crescenta, CA · Member since 2021 · 261 posts · 157 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Su Pak:

    Hi, I'm looking to refinance my Canton, OH (44714) BRRR property. Assumptions I provided to a mortgage broker is below. Below that was her response to a 30 yr fixed rate DSCR rates, plus origination and underwriting fees.

    I would appreciate this community's thoughts on these rates, origination and underwriting fees. Thank you!

    Assumptions:

    Credit 720

    Single Family Investment Property

    Property Value: $120k

    Amount financed: $90k or 75% LTV

    NO Pre-Payment Penalty (not allowed in Ohio)

    DSCR Ratio 1.25+

    30 YR Fixed Rate DSCR:

    • 8.250% with $2475 in discount points. P&I payment: $660
    • 8.125% with $2148 in points. P&I payment: $668
    • 8.25% with $1800 in points. P&I payment: $676
    • 8.375% with $1462 in points. P&I payment: $684
    • 8.875% with $0 points. P&I payment: $716


    Origination Fee: $4500

    Underwriting fee: $1395


     Hi Su,

    Yes, with the DSCR programs readily available today, I would say all of these are high. The origination fee of 5% is high. The interest rate for a DSCR loan above 8% is high. The minimum DSCR ratio of 1.25x is HIGH. I'm not sure why your mortgage broker mentioned there not being a prepayment penalty allowed in Ohio when I've closed a multitude of DSCR loans in OH that have prepayment penalties. It's very possible your broker is limited in the products they have available for you. Given all of these assumptions, you should be able to get a DSCR loan in the 6's/low 7's (rate), with a 3-5 year prepayment penalty, and minimum DSCR ratio of 1.00x, especially in OH. I would strongly encourage you to shop around for other options for this particular scenario.

  • Devin PetersonBusiness Member
    Lender · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2022 · 2k+ posts · 664 votes
    2y

    Not going to comment on high or low because a lot of people underestimate the time and work that goes into a loan, underwriting, and tracking docs. etc. Lenders and brokers are paid by the loan amount. To a certain extent, it's not worth it to work on files with tough conditions without a bottom-line base origination fee. So that's probably why you're experiencing "higher" fees. The same goes for lenders and the rate. Loan servicing companies put in the same time and manpower to service a loan that is 90K compared to one that is 900K - there's no difference. That is why rates are higher on smaller loan amounts. I think a greater appreciation for the work lenders and brokers go through needs to be understood more. It's the same case for hiring a highly referred plumber who will fix the leak and a few other things for the right price, or take the new guy no one has ever heard from and your leak has now turned into an explosion. 

  • Lender · Charleston, SC · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    The combo of points and high fees are partially due to the lack of a prepayment penalty. I have no idea whether these are or are not allowed in OH as I don't lend there, but a loan with a 2 or 3 year prepayment penalty would likely have lower points and fees because you are basically paying that penalty up front as a fee in this loan. Regardless, though, expect higher points and fees overall because of the smaller loan size. 

  • Robin SimonBusiness Member
    Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Su Pak:

    Hi, I'm looking to refinance my Canton, OH (44714) BRRR property. Assumptions I provided to a mortgage broker is below. Below that was her response to a 30 yr fixed rate DSCR rates, plus origination and underwriting fees.

    I would appreciate this community's thoughts on these rates, origination and underwriting fees. Thank you!

    Assumptions:

    Credit 720

    Single Family Investment Property

    Property Value: $120k

    Amount financed: $90k or 75% LTV

    NO Pre-Payment Penalty (not allowed in Ohio)

    DSCR Ratio 1.25+

    30 YR Fixed Rate DSCR:

    • 8.250% with $2475 in discount points. P&I payment: $660
    • 8.125% with $2148 in points. P&I payment: $668
    • 8.25% with $1800 in points. P&I payment: $676
    • 8.375% with $1462 in points. P&I payment: $684
    • 8.875% with $0 points. P&I payment: $716


    Origination Fee: $4500

    Underwriting fee: $1395


     These quotes look way too high - might be missing something but ran these numbers and we would be more in the 7.5% with 1 point ($900 Origination fee) ($1,000 underwriting fee) for this scenario

  • Derek BrickleyBusiness Member
    Lender · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2021 · 664 posts · 226 votes
    2y

    I'd agree with Devin, it's hard to say.  I would think they are high in my experience.  Different lenders allow different exceptions on that pre-payment penalty rule, so it may be worth looking at that.  On a smaller loan amount, fees will typically be higher but it just depends!

    Gold Star Mortgage Financial Group548 Reviews
  • Jack SmithPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Massillon, OH · Member since 2017 · 215 posts · 168 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Su Pak:

    NO Pre-Payment Penalty (not allowed in Ohio)

    Please explain this... I have more than one loan on my Ohio properties with prepayment penalties... ??  

  • Lender · Nationwide Lender / Novus Home Mortgage, a division of Ixonia Bank / NMLS #423065; Craig Warner / NMLS #129642 · Member since 2024 · 78 posts · 15 votes
    2y

    It's high. Good advice here. Unfortunately we have a larger loan amount requirement.

    Good Luck

  • Nick BelskyBusiness Member
    Residential and Commercial Broker · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 704 votes
    2y

    @Su Pak

    These are very high rates and costs, even with no prepayment.  I am doing a loan in Pennsylvania right now (also no PPP allowed for a loan this size) and we are doing an 80LTV purchase at 6.76%.  A 75LTV Cash Out on that deal would be about the same and there is no lender origination fee, only the $1600 UW fee.

    Ohio has recently updates some of it's laws in terms of PPP.  The lender's licensing and their attorney's interpretation of the Ohio statutes is what will determine if the lender will provide PPP options or not.  The lawyers will normally decide to offer only no PPP options as not to possibly conflict with the law, so the lender is mitigating possible risks in not being compliant.  In the end, some lenders will require a PPP and some will not allow one in Ohio.  Unfortunately, those that do not allow a ppp will often raise the rate or charge origination to offset their risk of having no PPP on the loan product.

    If anyone is interested in the Ohio statutes, you can read the summary with links to specific statutes here:

    https://com.ohio.gov/divisions-and-programs/financial-instit...

    Interestingly enough, the PPP statues only apply to 1 or 2 unit residential homes with a few other "ands" in order to meet the criteria.  The loan limit was raised to $110,000 in January 2024.

    Cheers!

    Belsky Mortgage, LLC527 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2016 · 593 posts · 664 votes
    2y

    With solid credit and property have you considered just going the conventional route? 

  • Su PakPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2020 · 48 posts · 23 votes
    2y

    Thank you to the amazing BP community for their insight. Really appreciate it and will pivot based on the advice I've received. Special shout out these these guys for taking the time to respond: @Austin Steed@Nick Belsky@Nick Belsky@Nick Belsky@Nick Belsky

    @Nick Belsky

  • Erik EstradaBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    This is where making sure doing your due diligence on the broker/lender's reputation truly matters. There are several lenders that allow PPP in Ohio. But although they are available, you are better off reducing the PPP in a declining rate environment. Chances are you will refinance again and being on a long PPP will be costly.

    Chances are this quote has some broker rebate, so find out how much is he truly charging you? Ask for the day rate sheet. I don't think he is quoting you at par. 

    LuxePrivate Investments LLC 572 Reviews
  • Brittany MinocchiBusiness Member
    Lender · Massillon, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 486 votes
    2y

    Hey Su -

    It's not true that prepayment penalties aren't allowed in Ohio in ALL instances - this varies based on lender and/or loan amount. I'm in Ohio (live local to and grew up in Canton actually!) and DSCR loans are the majority of my business. A few notes:

    - I advise people NOT to buy out the PPP completely, but to maybe shoot for 2-3 years just to get a more reasonable rate unless you are absolutely positive you want to refinance sooner and are willing to pay more for that option.

    - A hurdle here is that your loan amount drops below $100k, which is the minimum for many lenders. Because of that, you're likely to see higher rates and fees.

    -With 25% down, a 720 FICO and DSCR of 1.25, these rates are very high.

    I would highly recommend exploring other options. Feel free to reach out if you need anything else, happy to connect! 

    Brittany Minocchi - Barrett Financial Group, LLC522 Reviews
    View Page
  • Scott WolfPro Member
    Lender · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 957 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Su Pak:

    Hi, I'm looking to refinance my Canton, OH (44714) BRRR property. Assumptions I provided to a mortgage broker is below. Below that was her response to a 30 yr fixed rate DSCR rates, plus origination and underwriting fees.

    I would appreciate this community's thoughts on these rates, origination and underwriting fees. Thank you!

    Assumptions:

    Credit 720

    Single Family Investment Property

    Property Value: $120k

    Amount financed: $90k or 75% LTV

    NO Pre-Payment Penalty (not allowed in Ohio)

    DSCR Ratio 1.25+

    30 YR Fixed Rate DSCR:

    • 8.250% with $2475 in discount points. P&I payment: $660
    • 8.125% with $2148 in points. P&I payment: $668
    • 8.25% with $1800 in points. P&I payment: $676
    • 8.375% with $1462 in points. P&I payment: $684
    • 8.875% with $0 points. P&I payment: $716


    Origination Fee: $4500

    Underwriting fee: $1395


    Those seem a bit high.  PPP is allowed in Ohio.  But if all the info is correct, our rate would be 6.74% with a 1 year PPP.

    2,500 origination and 1,505 underwriting fee.

  • Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 899 votes
    2y

    @Su Pak- thanks ...terms seem high and cost seems high for a DSCR loan .....are you not able to obtain conventional loan ?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.