VA Loans / "VA Jumbo" - loan limits going away nationwide.

10 Replies

https://www.housingwire.com/articles/49421-bill-eliminating-va-loan-cap-signed-into-law

The Department of Veterans Affairs can now back loans that exceed the conforming loan limit, as a bill eliminating this cap was signed into law by President Donald Trump on Tuesday night.

The Blue Water Navy Vietnam Veterans Act allows homebuyers to borrow above the 2019 limit of $484,350 for most counties without any down payment.

[...]

The move comes after a decades-long fight for veterans to receive health care benefits for diseases related to Agent Orange exposure, according to military.com, which said the bill will “fast-track disability compensation” for as many as 90,000 affected former service members.

In an earlier draft of the bill, the cost of these benefits were to be financed by raising VA loan fees 0.35% to 0.5% for non-disabled veterans, according to military.com.

But trade groups like the National Association of Realtors lobbied against such an increase, and lawmakers opted to raise the loan cap as a way to raise funds to support benefits instead.

Huge for the San Francisco Bay Area, Oakland, DC, LA, San Diego, and other high cost areas of the country. Can't wait to do my first $3m 0% down VA loan. :)

For those curious, currently veterans have to put down 25% of the difference. In my area the loan limit (in 2019) is $726k. If you buy an $826k home, 25% of the difference is $25k down. My reading of the bill, as well as the law it amends, is that lenders will go for 0% down once the VA puts out guidance that effectively enacts the law (in theory it's in effect now, in reality no lender will go for it until the VA confirms & describes any implementation steps necessary).

That's awesome. I recently purchased my first investment home in Southern California for $427,500 and 0% down through a VA loan. This is going to help a lot of veterans in high cost of living areas achieve financial independence faster. Always great to see other veterans interested making it happen.

@Hunter Sauls . I am living in it for one year to fulfill the primary residence requirement and then renting it out after. I got it for 427,500 at 0% down with 5k closing cost credits and only came out of pocket about 3k in final costs to me (and that all went to prorated expenses I would have paid anyways for the most part). I can go in more detail if you would like.

Originally posted by @Kevin Quintanilla-Toledo :

@Chris Mason Do you know how this could effect buying a second or third home with the VA loan while keeping the first home that was purchased with the VA loan? I know people refinance out of the VA loan usually to a conventional loan but will that be necessary now?

We will not know that until the Dept of VA interprets the new law and promulgates guidelines/regulations.

Your or my interpretation don't count for squat. :) Legislators pass laws, bureaucrats and political appointees interpret them and post regs.