ISO means to leverage equity in rental property for flips

ISO means to leverage equity in rental property for flips

Member since 2021 · 13 posts · 2 votes

I own a condo in Hall County, GA (near Gwinnett). The mortgage was paid off about 5 years ago and owe $2600 on a HELOC that's in the repayment phase.
Market value is $200k.

I flip residential properties in NC. Rather than having to pay $10k in closing costs to my HML for every house I buy, I'd like to use the equity in this rental to purchase.

Because I'm usually in and out of a house in 3 to 6 months a cash out refi or DSCR won't serve my needs.

I've spent hours (totaling weeks) looking for a HELOC (I've called every credit union and small to mid bank in the area, PenFed, contacted a host of online lenders and brokers both in the area and across the US). No dice.

How else can I use $150k (75%) of equity in this rental on a repeat basis? 

0Reply
108 views

Most Popular Reply

Josh YoungPro Member
Rental Property Investor / REALTOR® / Property Manager · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2023 · 384 posts · 421 votes
3y

Pay off the HELOC and then do a cash out refi on the condo, this will give you $150k cash to use on your flips.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Josh YoungPro Member
    Rental Property Investor / REALTOR® / Property Manager · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2023 · 384 posts · 421 votes
    3y

    Pay off the HELOC and then do a cash out refi on the condo, this will give you $150k cash to use on your flips.

  • Realtor · Athens, GA · Member since 2023 · 201 posts · 104 votes
    3y

    Hi Kim

    Have you spoken to anyone at Commercial Bank yet? I use John Carson here in Athens at the Epps Bridge location. I recently spoke to him about setting up a heloc on a 5 unit portfolio that they hold the jumbo loan for. He said it could be done. 

    Another option would be private lending. Perhaps someone would give you 150k with a 10% rate and the condo as the collateral backing it. If you are in and out quick the 10% would be minimal cost to you. 

  • Athens, GA · Member since 2013 · 26 posts · 6 votes
    3y

    Figure might do a quick turnaround HELOC.

  • Member since 2021 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Josh Young:

    Pay off the HELOC and then do a cash out refi on the condo, this will give you $150k cash to use on your flips.

    That would be plausible if I did flip after flip. But I’m more of a casual investor - buy something when I have the time to put forth (2-6 per year). Meanwhile the funds sit in the bank when I’m between houses collecting 2% interest while the loan is at 8%.  
  • Member since 2021 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jonathan Malnati:

    Figure might do a quick turnaround HELOC.

    I checked with them - don’t recall if they don’t do rentals, condos, GA or if they have stoped their program for the foreseeable future. Whatever it was, no dice. 
  • Member since 2021 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Zane Cress:

    Hi Kim

    Have you spoken to anyone at Commercial Bank yet? I use John Carson here in Athens at the Epps Bridge location. I recently spoke to him about setting up a heloc on a 5 unit portfolio that they hold the jumbo loan for. He said it could be done. 

    Another option would be private lending. Perhaps someone would give you 150k with a 10% rate and the condo as the collateral backing it. If you are in and out quick the 10% would be minimal cost to you. 

    Thanks for the info on Commercial Bank! I’ll give them a ring! 
    I wouldn’t mind 10%. Even willing to pay large closing/funding costs once. But it’s the repeated $5-$10k I’m trying to avoid. 

    (I can get 10% with $10k in closing from my HML with using the flip as collateral.) 
  • Member since 2021 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Zane Cress:

    Hi Kim

    Have you spoken to anyone at Commercial Bank yet? I use John Carson here in Athens at the Epps Bridge location. I recently spoke to him about setting up a heloc on a 5 unit portfolio that they hold the jumbo loan for. He said it could be done. 

    Another option would be private lending. Perhaps someone would give you 150k with a 10% rate and the condo as the collateral backing it. If you are in and out quick the 10% would be minimal cost to you. 

    Just got off the phone with James Carson. Having to call it a commercial loan, but doesn’t require I put the property in my LLC and it seems he’s going to be able to do the loan! 
    Can’t thank you enough for the referral! 
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.