Seller Finance - Early Repayment Request From Note Holder

Seller Finance - Early Repayment Request From Note Holder

Matt InouyePro Member
Investor · Irvine, CA · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 24 votes

Hello BP Community,

I have been approached by the holder of a seller-financed note (for a property I purchased from them) asking if I would be able to repay my note earlier than agreed.  They understand that it would have to be at a discount to the amount owed and would need to make sense for me.

There is roughly $360K in unpaid principle @4.00% and 311 monthly payments remaining. The monthly payment amount is about $1,800/mo. Am I in the ballpark that if I purchase this for $110K today, that it would yield about a 20% IRR? And also, since I am the borrower, am I correct in my understanding that I would be subject to a tax on cancellation of debt which would lower my total IRR.

I saw many years ago (like in 2017) on BP that note investors were shooting for 10-12% IRR in a zero-interest rate environement. Is it safe to assume that with rates much higher, that the target IRR is now in the mid to high teens?

Is there anything else from seasoned note buyers that I might need to consider before attempting to work a deal? 

I appreciate all of your help in advance.

Thank you!

Matt

0Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
Moderator
Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
1y
Quote from @Matt Inouye:

@Chris Seveney

Yes I am the borrower and the debt is mine.  The note holder is asking if I can pay off the loan faster.  

I just want to make sure that if I do work a deal to pay off the debt earlier that 1) the calulations I am using are correct and 2) that the return would make sense to a professional note investors/buyer.


 I guess we would need to know when it matures, but since its you paying off the debt vs. him selling the loan, I would be happy with $100k discount, refinance at todays rates and then refinance again later if rates dip further. Yes as a note holder that if he sold it institutaional would probably sell for 70 cents, to a smaller investor the discount would be so much it would not make sense for them. 

7e investments53 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    1y

    1099 C is an interesting question ask your accountant..

    note holder asking to be paid off . this is just a negotiation.. you offer what you want to offer and they can accept or deny. 

  • Matt InouyePro Member
    OP
    Investor · Irvine, CA · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 24 votes
    1y

    Hey Jay... thanks for the response.  Yes I work with Amanda's team at Keystone CPA.  They were my first stop.  The experts at BP were my 2nd stop as I wanted to confirm my calculations and assumptions on expected returns were in the ball park.

    I've been a member of BP for a while and you've always had great input.  Thank you for all you do in the forums.

    -Matt

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Matt Inouye:

    Hello BP Community,

    I have been approached by the holder of a seller-financed note (for a property I purchased from them) asking if I would be able to repay my note earlier than agreed.  They understand that it would have to be at a discount to the amount owed and would need to make sense for me.

    There is roughly $360K in unpaid principle @4.00% and 311 monthly payments remaining. The monthly payment amount is about $1,800/mo. Am I in the ballpark that if I purchase this for $110K today, that it would yield about a 20% IRR? And also, since I am the borrower, am I correct in my understanding that I would be subject to a tax on cancellation of debt which would lower my total IRR.

    I saw many years ago (like in 2017) on BP that note investors were shooting for 10-12% IRR in a zero-interest rate environement. Is it safe to assume that with rates much higher, that the target IRR is now in the mid to high teens?

    Is there anything else from seasoned note buyers that I might need to consider before attempting to work a deal? 

    I appreciate all of your help in advance.

    Thank you!

    Matt


     So you are the borrower and they are asking if you can pay the loan off faster? First question is, can you? I am not following where you are saying you purchase it, isnt the debt yours (as you mention "repay my note earlier than agreed?)

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Matt InouyePro Member
    OP
    Investor · Irvine, CA · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 24 votes
    1y

    @Chris Seveney

    Yes I am the borrower and the debt is mine.  The note holder is asking if I can pay off the loan faster.  

    I just want to make sure that if I do work a deal to pay off the debt earlier that 1) the calulations I am using are correct and 2) that the return would make sense to a professional note investors/buyer.

  • Matt InouyePro Member
    OP
    Investor · Irvine, CA · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 24 votes
    1y

    I should add that I usually work numbers for buy and hold rentals... so doing note buying calcs are not in my current tool kit. I tried to follow along with some other forum posts and youtube videos on how to setup an excel sheet for IRR

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Matt Inouye:

    @Chris Seveney

    Yes I am the borrower and the debt is mine.  The note holder is asking if I can pay off the loan faster.  

    I just want to make sure that if I do work a deal to pay off the debt earlier that 1) the calulations I am using are correct and 2) that the return would make sense to a professional note investors/buyer.


     I guess we would need to know when it matures, but since its you paying off the debt vs. him selling the loan, I would be happy with $100k discount, refinance at todays rates and then refinance again later if rates dip further. Yes as a note holder that if he sold it institutaional would probably sell for 70 cents, to a smaller investor the discount would be so much it would not make sense for them. 

    7e investments53 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.