Did you know you can combine your credit lines?

Did you know you can combine your credit lines?

Rental Property Investor · San Clemente, CA · Member since 2019 · 160 posts · 34 votes

Learned something new today and am super excited to share!

If you have multiple accounts with the same company (for example, a Southwest credit card which is through Chase and a Chase Freedom Card) you can consolidate your credit lines so you can access whatever rates/offers are best at the moment!

I just put an offer in on a deal I wasnt entirely sure how I would fund and the extended credit line will allow me to do it (assuming my offer is accepted).

1Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Burlington, VT · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y

@Thuy Pham-Satrappe  Yes, aware of this too and thanks for posting, as many people don't know it.  Exactly as Nick says, they just won't allow the switching of personal vs business.

I'm currently in the process of requesting the CL switch with Capital One.

Now actually using credit lines to purchase RE is something I'm not too fond of.  For me, there's peace of mind  going to a bank and getting 4.5% fixed for 30 years and not having to worry about it again.

Certainly I've used cards for the rehab portion of properties, but that has it's own risks in the drop of credit score.

- Tom

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · NY / FL · Member since 2013 · 240 posts · 44 votes
    7y

    @Thuy Pham-Satrappe most banks will let you re-allocate credit lines to from one card to the other, I have done this with AMEX, Chase, Citi & Barclays via secure message or phone. The one thing I found they will not do is move credit lines from business to personal cards or vice versa. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Burlington, VT · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Thuy Pham-Satrappe  Yes, aware of this too and thanks for posting, as many people don't know it.  Exactly as Nick says, they just won't allow the switching of personal vs business.

    I'm currently in the process of requesting the CL switch with Capital One.

    Now actually using credit lines to purchase RE is something I'm not too fond of.  For me, there's peace of mind  going to a bank and getting 4.5% fixed for 30 years and not having to worry about it again.

    Certainly I've used cards for the rehab portion of properties, but that has it's own risks in the drop of credit score.

    - Tom

  • Rental Property Investor · San Clemente, CA · Member since 2019 · 160 posts · 34 votes
    7y

    @Nick G. Can you move them between different credit card companies? For example I have a Barclays card with a high credit limit but can I move that to say a Capital One credit line?

  • Rental Property Investor · San Clemente, CA · Member since 2019 · 160 posts · 34 votes
    7y

    @Tom S. I completely agree! I would only use the credit line for the rehab process and then pay it back once we resell the house

  • Lender · NY / FL · Member since 2013 · 240 posts · 44 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Thuy Pham-Satrappe:

    @Nick G. Can you move them between different credit card companies? For example I have a Barclays card with a high credit limit but can I move that to say a Capital One credit line?

     Not to my knowledge. Each bank is separate and has their own relationship with you, based on that they will extend credit accordingly. You can have card or lines with multiple banks then source funds from multiple for one deal if the numbers make sense. 

  • Lewisville, TX · Member since 2015 · 341 posts · 264 votes
    7y

    @Tom S.

    Yes risks of dropping score indeed. I recently flipped a house in North Texas for my mother in law & my score went from 800 to 600 & is almost back now at 790.

    I also use credit card sign up bonuses & promotions to buy silver at a 25% discount & get 15 months no interest to pay it off.

    I have good credit lines but not many places I could buy a property with credit cards besides maybe Detroit & I won’t want to. Rehabs & silver only.

    And I’ve combined & moved around several credit lines to get 0% interest or improve my credit score!

    Also look into travel hacking. I’m getting Southwest card & companion pass for free when I move. Way beneficial & no 50 cards & spreadsheets to go on a $10k trip to Hawaii. Everyday Southwest perks a win though, just hate using Love Field from Denton.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.