Contractor Abandoned Job and Tools

10 Replies

Have any of you here in Colorado experienced a contractor abandoning both the job and his tools? I have tried for a couple of weeks to get this contractor to get his tools out of the property we are rehabbing after he abandoned the job, but though he has agreed several times to meet us at the property, he has never made it. What are my options for getting his tools out of the way so our other contractor doesn't have to work around them and I don't have to be responsible for them?

Probably a fine line with the law here and I don't know what is the legal way to handle it. I would send him a certified letter - requiring signature - stating that if not picked up by x date - you will sell for garage sale value and mail a check for the proceeds. In the mean time - put in the garage or out of your way as much as possible. 

I would contact an attorney in your area. If done incorrectly I am sure he will come up with inflated prices for replacement as well as the cost to replace tools that were never there in the first place.

Oh my, I just realized that while I read your posts, I didn't reply. Thanks so much for the input. Just an update: I did contact an attorney who told me about a handy little "abandoned property" law here in Colorado. He recommended the certified letter announcing that if the contractor did not make arrangements to pick up his tools by a specific date, they would be disposed of. Fortunately, the contractor did contact me and got his tools; I'm not sure why it took a certified letter to get him to contact me, but I'm glad I didn't have to dispose of them and that he still has them to work with. 

I've got a similar problem right now. Drywaller left for two weeks and haven't heard from him. Left his tools and materials and I still owe on one unit but I don't know the final cost on it. I'm assuming he's landed in jail at this point. 

Steven, that is too bad! Our situation was annoying because 1) he disappeared and 2) I had to move his tools three times, but at least he eventually got back in touch with me. I hope your situation works out.

Originally posted by @Donna Welschmeyer :

Have any of you here in Colorado experienced a contractor abandoning both the job and his tools? I have tried for a couple of weeks to get this contractor to get his tools out of the property we are rehabbing after he abandoned the job, but though he has agreed several times to meet us at the property, he has never made it. What are my options for getting his tools out of the way so our other contractor doesn't have to work around them and I don't have to be responsible for them?

Are you saying you paid him to get a job done, he abondoned the job and left the tools?

Originally posted by Account Closed:
Originally posted by @Donna Welschmeyer:

Are you saying you paid him to get a job done, he abondoned the job and left the tools?

Greg, the contractor and I were pretty much "even" on the work he had done and payment he had received, but he no-showed me and then just left his tools on the job site. He did eventually get back in touch with me and picked up his tools.