Skip to content
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation

User Stats

Votes
Stone G.
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sugar Land, TX
Votes |
Inspector didn’t do his job (house needs new roof)

Stone G.
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sugar Land, TX
Posted Nov 9 2019, 07:57

To make this as short as possible, I closed on a house about a month ago. When the inspection came back this is what was said about the roof

“The composition shingle roof appeared to be functioning as intended at the time of inspection. All roof surfaces are only visually inspected. For a more detailed analysis please contact a licensed roofing contractor.”

Fast forward to a week ago when the GC was doing work on the front porch and noticed there was wood rot, upon further investigation by checking the roof out he noticed there was a decent amount of damage that couldn’t be patched and call for a complete roof replacement. This was all visible if you were on the roof which makes me believe the inspector never got on the roof.

I contacted the inspector and he wants me to resend him the emails of me reaching out to him about the damage because as of this week he’s on a new policy. I’m not willing to do that because that’s potential insurance fraud?

What should be my next steps to get this inspector to cover the replacement of the roof? He already said he only has $1000 to come out of pocket but I know his insurance will likely cover it. Do I contact his insurance or get an attorney involved?

TIA

Loading replies...