Refi till you die to renew depreciation?

Refi till you die to renew depreciation?

Glendale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 238 votes

Hi guys,

1) Do I understand it correctly that if I owned a property for 27.5 years and cant claim  depreciation on that property anymore, If I refinance, I can start claiming depreciation again?

Or

2) If I sell this property then I will pay back the depreciation, but if I refinance I wont have to pay back the depreciation?

Are any of those statements correct?

0Reply
30 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · brentwood, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 730 votes
5y

1) No there is no depreciation "restart" as there is no new investment just additional borrowing against presumably fully depreciated property.

2) If you do sell you will need to recognize the depreciation recapture, if you refinance you will not have any immediate depreciation recapture. The depreciation recapture will be preserved for potential future recognition in the event you do sell the property.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · brentwood, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 730 votes
    5y

    1) No there is no depreciation "restart" as there is no new investment just additional borrowing against presumably fully depreciated property.

    2) If you do sell you will need to recognize the depreciation recapture, if you refinance you will not have any immediate depreciation recapture. The depreciation recapture will be preserved for potential future recognition in the event you do sell the property.

  • Glendale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 238 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Christopher Smith:

    1) No there is no depreciation "restart" as there is no new investment just additional borrowing against presumably fully depreciated property.

    2) If you do sell you will need to recognize the depreciation recapture, if you refinance you will not have any immediate depreciation recapture. The depreciation recapture will be preserved for potential future recognition in the event you do sell the property.

     Thank you.

    So if I dont sell the property but keep refinancing it, then I dont have to pay the depreciation back?

  • Investor · brentwood, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 730 votes
    5y

    Yes that is correct 

  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Mary Jay:

    Hi guys,

    1) Do I understand it correctly that if I owned a property for 27.5 years and cant claim  depreciation on that property anymore, If I refinance, I can start claiming depreciation again?

    Or

    2) If I sell this property then I will pay back the depreciation, but if I refinance I wont have to pay back the depreciation?

    Are any of those statements correct?

    1) not correct. 

    2) Yes, but you cannot keep on refinancing to get the cash unless your value went up or you paid down the loan. 

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD® | Tax Planning Software
  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @Ashish Acharya @Christopher Smith Would it make sense to refinance before a sale to minimize cap gains?  E.g., I buy a $500K home and many years later, it depreciates down to $300K and the market value is $800K.  Would it make sense to refinance, cash-out, sell it at $800K, then once you payback the bank ~$600K for the re-fi loan, would you just pay cap gains on ~$200K or so?  Or would it still result in a full depreciation recapture and cap gains on $500K or so ?

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    5y

    I can't speak to the depreciation, but if you are constantly refinancing your rentals, the only money you will have is the cash flow.  I'd rather have equity in some and the mortgage paid down a bit, so at some point you can start selling them and benefitting from a good amount of money.

  • Investor · brentwood, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 730 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Ashwin Goel:

    @Ashish Acharya @Christopher Smith Would it make sense to refinance before a sale to minimize cap gains?  E.g., I buy a $500K home and many years later, it depreciates down to $300K and the market value is $800K.  Would it make sense to refinance, cash-out, sell it at $800K, then once you payback the bank ~$600K for the re-fi loan, would you just pay cap gains on ~$200K or so?  Or would it still result in a full depreciation recapture and cap gains on $500K or so ?

    The refi would have no bearing on the gain, so you would still have full depreciation recapture if you sold it.

  • Real Estate Agent · New York City · Member since 2020 · 819 posts · 641 votes
    5y

    Depreciation is based on your cost basis (purchase price plus improvements). Separate and apart from refi. 

    Depreciation acts as a paper loss against income but lowers your cost basis, so capital gain will be higher upon sale (unless you 1031X - but that's another conversation). 

    For example, if you buy a property for $100,000 that generates $6,000 per year (we will assume no financing for simplicity), then you can depreciate (1/27.5) $3,636 and pay income tax on $2,364 (the difference). However, if you sell for $110k your gain is not $110k-$100k but rather $110k-$100k-($3,636 * no of years depreciated). 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.