• Landlord and Rehabber
  • Newton, MA
Votes |
Protecting Your Personal Assets

Shaun Reilly
  • Landlord and Rehabber
  • Newton, MA
Posted Aug 29 2013, 19:26

I read a lot about the need to protect your personal assets if you own rentals or from your business activities.

My question is... Who has personal assets that are worth worrying about protecting?

If anything I want to segregate things in case I personally get sued to protect all the stuff my entities own!

In reality I will guess that for the most part the people here are newbies that just don't have any assets anyway. Still good to have the right stuff in place early on, but shouldn't be anything to stop you from getting started.

If not people will have a lot of business assets that make up the majority of their net worth. I know personally if you take away the equity and cash in my flipping business and the cash and equity in my rentals I don't really have all that much!

I will guess that like me most of people personal assets of note are a personal residence and retirement counts. I can Homestead my home to protect it for many times the actual equity I have. Retirement accounts are already off limits (Think OJ).

Not dissing asset protection but I think most people think about it backwards. The business stuff being protected from YOUR liability is probably the more important use of the benefits.

Loading replies...