Where do you store your rental property emergency fund?

Where do you store your rental property emergency fund?

Floyd BundrantPro Member
Member since 2025 · 1 post · 0 votes

Currently I keep a 6 month reserve in a HYSA. What are your strategies to max yield and liquidity?

0Reply
133 views

Most Popular Reply

Encinitas, CA · Member since 2011 · 191 posts · 252 votes
9mo

I like keeping property reserves in a brokerage account where I continuously roll them over into US Treasury T-bills at government auctions ranging from 1 to 6 months in duration. If you are in a high tax state like California, the treasury exemption from state taxation on interest can be beneficial.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    9mo
    Quote from @Floyd Bundrant:

    Currently I keep a 6 month reserve in a HYSA. What are your strategies to max yield and liquidity?

    This depends on each persons situation - but for us we have it spread in multiple different liquidity paths (markets, CD's etc) with some liquid and some illiquid but we also have a LOC that we do not touch and use as a "in case of emergency break glass" type of situation - and if we have to use it then we will liquidate one of our accounts to pay it down.
    7e investments53 Reviews
  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9mo

    I have a few dollars in HYSA and can usually cover most unforeseen expenses with that and tightening the belt for a couple of paychecks. I don’t like to keep a lot of money in low earning vehicles. My taxable stock market index fund would be where I pull from in an emergency. 

  • Encinitas, CA · Member since 2011 · 191 posts · 252 votes
    9mo

    I like keeping property reserves in a brokerage account where I continuously roll them over into US Treasury T-bills at government auctions ranging from 1 to 6 months in duration. If you are in a high tax state like California, the treasury exemption from state taxation on interest can be beneficial.

  • Jason MalabuteBusiness Member
    Accountant · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 899 votes
    9mo

    One of the most overlooked pieces of real estate investing is your emergency fund strategy.

    Someone recently asked where investors store their reserves for rental properties. A common rule of thumb is 3–6 months of expenses. The goal isn’t just to have the money — it’s to optimize for safety and liquidity.

    High-yield savings accounts (HYSAs) are popular because they offer immediate access to cash while earning more than a checking account. Some investors also ladder short-term Treasury bills (T-bills), especially in high-tax states like California, where federal T-bill interest is exempt from state income tax.

    The key is striking the right balance: you want your emergency fund to grow modestly but still be accessible when (not if) a tenant stops paying, the roof leaks, or the furnace dies mid-winter.

    Don’t just let your reserves sit idle. Put them to work — wisely.

    Malabute & Company CPAs525 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.