Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Mike Shahi
  • Washington, DC
Votes |
Annoying tenant - how should I address this issue....

Mike Shahi
  • Washington, DC
Posted Jul 12 2022, 11:47

I have a tenant living in my basement that pays on time and keeps the space clean. She's been here 2 years and recently purchased a new construction home with an expected completion date of December 2022. 

She has a very interesting personality and can seem demanding. Up to this point I've seen used good emotional intelligence and catered to her every need. I've addressed even the most minor issues like changing light bulbs when I can easily put it on the tenant. 

What has bugged me the most are her constant phone calls about noise. She seems to get anxiety and is constantly on edge. I'm getting tired of the "what was that noise?" phone calls which ends up being nothing but banging from utility trucks or the tapping sound from rain- seriously?. The house is secure with bars on the windows, cameras and security doors at each entrance. One time she asked if I was home and stated that she hears someone walking upstairs. I was about 10 minutes away but I told her if you feel unsafe, to call 911 and the next thing I know my house is surrounded by police. 

Last night was the last straw when I received a phone call at 1:30am asking to look at the security cameras because she "hears something". I looked out the window and nothing. I let her know that I don't see or hear anything and she stated that she could just be going crazy - you think? 

I feel like she has crossed personal boundaries and it's become unacceptable behavior. A part of me wants to talk to her, maybe shoot over an email to put in a place a process for emergencies and what exactly constitutes as an emergency. I don't think I have the legal right to ask her why she behaves this way- "have you been robbed at gunpoint? Had a previous house broken into?"

We are at the finish line with her lease so a part of me wants to let it go. I don't want to create an enemy and then having her file constant complaints out of spite. I'm not really sure what to do- talk to her or let it go and just live with it. 

Loading replies...