Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Jeni Nikolova
Votes |
Showing a property to prospective tenants while current tenants live in the house

Jeni Nikolova
Posted Apr 7 2023, 02:18

Hi,

We have a lease that states the regular terms for entering a property by the landlord - with at least 24 hours notice.

Are there any regulations on how far ahead of the lease expiration date can a landlord show the house in CA?

How would you approach viewings with the tenant?

This is a single family house, not owned by an LLL or a corporation.

User Stats

Votes
Keith A.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Texas
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Texas
Replied Apr 7 2023, 02:34
Quote from @Jeni Nikolova:

Hi,

We have a lease that states the regular terms for entering a property by the landlord - with at least 24 hours notice.

Are there any regulations on how far ahead of the lease expiration date can a landlord show the house in CA?

The terms of showings should also be in the lease. My Texas leases are 30 days and if current tenants don't want showings they can pay a month's extra rent. 24 hours is normal, or setup blocks of time where you can show several applicants at once. 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Apr 7 2023, 04:40

It's in your lease and it's in the law. Give proper notice and you should be fine. You can show it three days before the lease expires or three months; there's no limit.

Here's an article explaining it: https://www.latimes.com/archiv...

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Ray Hage#1 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
Ray Hage#1 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Replied Apr 7 2023, 05:10

It is best to work with your tenant on showing the house. I understand some tenants can be difficult. Recently, I had one tenant that kept refusing times and gave excuses last minute on why she doesn't want anyone over. It was a big headache. If you give the proper notice, you will be fine under the law but the current tenant might have a messy or dirty house and it won't show well to prospective tenants. There's not a ton you can do about that. You might end up have to lose a month rent to get the place ready enough for the next tenant that moves in. 

User Stats

Votes
Jeni Nikolova
Votes |
Replied Apr 7 2023, 06:38
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

It's in your lease and it's in the law. Give proper notice and you should be fine. You can show it three days before the lease expires or three months; there's no limit.

Here's an article explaining it: https://www.latimes.com/archiv...

Thanks @Nathan Gesner. I did an online search but wanted to confirm I am not in the wrong as one of the tenants is a lawyer. 

And the link to the article is from 2001, I hope not much has changed since then :) but one never knows

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#3 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Apr 7 2023, 06:47

Hi,

PLEASE hire a PM co, BTW, 24 hour notice, 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Apr 7 2023, 06:59

here.is an article from NOLO with links to the current law. 

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/overview-landlord-tenant-laws-california.html#:~:text=California%20landlords%20are%20legally%20required,such%20as%20a%20broken%20heater.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Adah N.
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Apr 7 2023, 11:25

@Jeni Nikolova

I understand the need to cut expenses and find a new renter asap. Is the unit not expected to be a little messy considering current tenant is packing up to leave? Why not hang on until unit is vacant to show?

User Stats

Votes
Jeni Nikolova
Votes |
Replied Apr 7 2023, 12:34

@Adah N., it is mostly because vacancy would cost me $5k/month out of pocket for mortgage and maintenance.