New to Real Estate · Bryan/College Station, TX · Member since 2020 · 28 posts · 14 votes
We have come to an impasse on the sort of stove to put in our first rental. One says gas and the other says electric. There is a gas line & electric hook-up available for the stove. The house has a gas water heater & furnace, so gas will be turned on. Please let me know why you think what you think.
We read a lot of Bigger Pockets books before we jumped in and I thought we were prepared but we are learning so much every day!
Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
3y
Electric all day long. This will sound harsh but tenants are in general too dumb to be using gas stoves. It is easy, even with modern stoves, to leave the gas knob on and gas flowing right into the unit. I have a pretty upscale relatively new (4 years) gas range in my own home and you can turn the knob past the ignition point and just let gas flow on right into the home. I would never trust that kind of setup with renters.
As far as what renters would prefer to cook on, who cares? If they want a gas range they can go out and buy their own home. Electric ranges are inexpensive, common, can be hooked up by anyone. I don't even want the doofus people I see bringing stuff out to my rentals from the box stores hooking up a replacement gas range.
Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y
I don’t know if my fear has any merit but I always go electric and I have a couple houses where I have an option including my first personal home. I’m always afraid the house will fill with gas and cause some kind of explosion or the tenant won’t know how to use them and cause an issue. The logical side of me says this is stupid since there are so many gas stoves out there and if this was a real threat they wouldn’t be. Rentals are all about mitigating risk and this is one less thing to have to think about. On the flip side though with gas if electrical goes out they still have a way to cook but this still isn’t enough of a pro to offset the worry.
Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
3y
Aloha,
This will be dependent on utility costs in your locale. Gas is generally much less expensive, more efficient, and personally I would ALWAYS prefer to cook on gas. Also, what about the laundry area? Gas or electric hookups for dryer?
The main thing with gas, is be sure whoever is working on it KNOWS wth they are doing! You do not want deteriorated OR incorrect type of pipe and all fittings, crushed flex connectors, cross-threaded connections, etc. Natural gas is quite safe when used properly. DO be sure to give your new Tenants a crash course in Do's/Dont's at move in, maybe even a simple flyer or a page in your Tenant Handbook.
Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
3y
Electric all day long. This will sound harsh but tenants are in general too dumb to be using gas stoves. It is easy, even with modern stoves, to leave the gas knob on and gas flowing right into the unit. I have a pretty upscale relatively new (4 years) gas range in my own home and you can turn the knob past the ignition point and just let gas flow on right into the home. I would never trust that kind of setup with renters.
As far as what renters would prefer to cook on, who cares? If they want a gas range they can go out and buy their own home. Electric ranges are inexpensive, common, can be hooked up by anyone. I don't even want the doofus people I see bringing stuff out to my rentals from the box stores hooking up a replacement gas range.
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
3y
Gas stoves are typically more expensive to buy and install. Electric are more common so you can pick up used ones or new ones cheaper and easier. Electric is also safer. Some Tenants just don't know how to operate things safely.
Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
3y
Gas stoves cook better and are cheaper to operate.
That being said, it's really annoying to have to go and light a tenants' pilot lights for one reason or another, or to have a tenant claiming the stove is leaking gas when it isn't (and I'm typically out $75 because the appliance guy had to go there to test the line and tell the tenant they're wrong).
So for a rental, if you have the choice, go with electric.
Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
3y
Electric has gotten a bad rep because of the old coil type stoves. We are 100% electric since 2008 and we use smooth glass cooktops. Safer, than gas looks sleek, actually cook well and they are much easier to clean! Never had a negative comment from an applicant.
Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 755 votes
3y
Easy question: always go electric when possible for tenants including stove, dryer, water heater, heating, etc. There is a lesser chance of things going wrong. In Florida, it's very easy to do this. I know in other states, electric everything would be far more expensive so you have to do what you can.
Electric all day long. This will sound harsh but tenants are in general too dumb to be using gas stoves. It is easy, even with modern stoves, to leave the gas knob on and gas flowing right into the unit. I have a pretty upscale relatively new (4 years) gas range in my own home and you can turn the knob past the ignition point and just let gas flow on right into the home. I would never trust that kind of setup with renters.
As far as what renters would prefer to cook on, who cares? If they want a gas range they can go out and buy their own home. Electric ranges are inexpensive, common, can be hooked up by anyone. I don't even want the doofus people I see bringing stuff out to my rentals from the box stores hooking up a replacement gas range.
Well said. Change the water heater to electric also.
Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 5k+ votes
3y
It's the food that catches fire. Doesn't matter if gas or electric, food will still ignite. Therefore, your best bet it to remove the stove and replace it with a microwave (metal door for extra safety).
It's the food that catches fire. Doesn't matter if gas or electric, food will still ignite. Therefore, your best bet it to remove the stove and replace it with a microwave (metal door for extra safety).
...and the greasy curtains near the stove. And the towels, stacks of mail and other things left on this convenient storage area when someone (usually a child) messes with the controls. In other words, generally irresponsible occupants.
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
3y
@Kyle McVay Electric unless you have a really high end rental then maybe gas. Electric stove doesn't add too much to the electric cost, safer in general due to no gas being left on, the ignitors on gas burners wear out because tenants leave them on. If the kids touch a gas burner after it has been on for a while the grate is also still hot just like electric. You want cool and kid safe get electric induction but I wouldn't do that for a rental because you can only use certain pots on it.
I have a similar situation going at the moment. Duplex with gas stove hookups on both sides, no electric. Assuming the panel will have room for a 240V (after AC is added soon), would it still be worth the expense of installing the 240 circuit and recptacle?
Developer · New Brunswick, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
3y
We have shifted to electric water heaters (no venting required in city areas so saves a major headache) and electric stoves (just less gas in the house and safer) when we do large remodels or new construction.