Property Manager · Rome, GA · Member since 2025 · 14 posts · 19 votes
I’m always curious how other landlords handle documentation — notices, communications, photos, timelines, etc. If you self-manage, what’s your process? Or if you don’t have one yet, what do you wish you had in place? Trying to get a thread going that helps newer investors avoid headaches later.
Investor · Collierville, TN 38017 · Member since 2017 · 597 posts · 449 votes
9mo
Great question, and honestly the lack of documentation is where most self-managing landlords get burned. What’s saved us over the years is having one simple rule: if it isn’t documented, it didn’t happen.
Here’s the system we use across our rentals:
1. All communication goes through one channel.
We don’t do text messages, random DMs, or phone calls with no paper trail.
Everything flows through a single number/email so every message is searchable later.
It keeps emotions out of it and documentation clean.
2. Every issue gets logged with a timestamp.
Whether a tenant reports a leak or we issue a notice, we drop it into our tracking system with:
• Date reported
• What the tenant said
• Our response
• Photos/video
• Completion date
That timeline alone has saved us countless times during disputes.
3. We take photos for everything.
Move-ins
Move-outs
Repairs
Violations
Inspections
Photos don’t argue and they don’t forget.
4. Notices are always delivered two ways.
• Posted on the door
• Emailed/texted through our communication system
This eliminates the “I never got it” conversation.
Investor · Collierville, TN 38017 · Member since 2017 · 597 posts · 449 votes
9mo
Great question, and honestly the lack of documentation is where most self-managing landlords get burned. What’s saved us over the years is having one simple rule: if it isn’t documented, it didn’t happen.
Here’s the system we use across our rentals:
1. All communication goes through one channel.
We don’t do text messages, random DMs, or phone calls with no paper trail.
Everything flows through a single number/email so every message is searchable later.
It keeps emotions out of it and documentation clean.
2. Every issue gets logged with a timestamp.
Whether a tenant reports a leak or we issue a notice, we drop it into our tracking system with:
• Date reported
• What the tenant said
• Our response
• Photos/video
• Completion date
That timeline alone has saved us countless times during disputes.
3. We take photos for everything.
Move-ins
Move-outs
Repairs
Violations
Inspections
Photos don’t argue and they don’t forget.
4. Notices are always delivered two ways.
• Posted on the door
• Emailed/texted through our communication system
This eliminates the “I never got it” conversation.
I’m always curious how other landlords handle documentation — notices, communications, photos, timelines, etc. If you self-manage, what’s your process? Or if you don’t have one yet, what do you wish you had in place? Trying to get a thread going that helps newer investors avoid headaches later.
Hi i own small rental portfolio and created my own startup for property management platform. It has added features the few of the big name companies in market. More then happy to pilot with your portfolio and cater to your requirement . Please reach out ,if we can connect.
Don't make it harder than it has to be. If my tenants have a problem or I have a question, we usually email (or they phone me). I keep everything either in an email or a hard copy in a folder. For repairs, I have a notebook where I track things for taxes-so again easy enough to look at what was done and pull the receipt from my file if I need it.
Real Estate Agent · Cumming, GA · Member since 2016 · 226 posts · 157 votes
7mo
For me, this is one of the main reasons I usually recommend finding a strong property manager early on. A good manager already has systems in place for documentation, notices, communications, photos, timelines, and compliance, which removes a lot of friction and risk.
Even when someone plans to self-manage, I also recommend underwriting the deal assuming you’ll have property management in place at some point. That way, if you change your mind down the road or your situation changes, the numbers still work and you’re not boxed in.
Having those processes and costs accounted for upfront lets you focus more on finding and evaluating deals instead of rebuilding systems later.
Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
7mo
One folder per property saved me so many headaches - photos, texts, notices, all date stamped. When problem tenants hit, that paper trail is everything. What's been your messiest documentation situation?
Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
7mo
1) EMAIL: Most email systems allow you to create Folders and/or Labels, where you can save emails.
Many also allow the creation of Filters that will automatically assign a Folder and/or Label to incoming emails.
2) SMS: DIY landlords should get a separate number like GoogleVoice, where it is easier to save, download, search for.
3) PHONE: hardest to track! The best PMC's have VOIP systems that record every call. Tough for a DIY landlord to justify the cost of these systems. WARNING: be careful with teaser rates! https://www.quo.com/blog/voip-call-recording/
4) DOCUMENTS: scan everything and save in a cloud-based system, so you can access from your phone. Organize folders by Property -> Unit (if applicable) -> Lease
5) IN-PERSON MEETINGS: install a recording app on your phone, that allows downloading, and save in the Document Folder System in #4 above.
Real Estate Broker · San Antonio · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 489 votes
7mo
When I was first starting out, email was my best friend. I created an email folder for each property and time blocked daily to organize everything into the correct folders.
Any time I had an important phone conversation, I followed up with an email recap to capture the date/time. It created a clear paper trail and saved me more than once. Simple but very effective for staying organized and avoiding headaches later.
Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7mo
@James Jones nailed it - streamlined systems are everything. I'd also add:
1. Train tenants upfront on your process ("All issues go through email/text for records"). 2. Use a dedicated property email so nothing gets buried in personal inbox. 3. Quick habit: Snap photo → email it to yourself with 1-line summary → file in property folder. Takes 30 seconds, bulletproof in court.
Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
7mo
Honestly the photo thing with timestamps saved my butt. Tenant tried to pin $1200 damage on me that happened before they moved in - had pics from a sink repair months earlier. Are you doing the photo documentation or still working out your system?
Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2024 · 129 posts · 36 votes
3mo
James is 100% right—if it isn't documented, it didn't happen. I learned this the hard way on my fourplex in Sacramento.
My system:
Single communication channel. I set up a dedicated email and phone number (Google Voice) for tenant communication. No personal texts. No Facebook messages. Everything goes through one channel that creates an automatic paper trail.
Move-in condition report with 50+ timestamped photos. Walk every unit with the tenant, photograph every wall, floor, counter, and appliance. Both parties sign. This single document has saved me thousands in deposit disputes.
Maintenance log with timestamps. Every request gets logged: when it was received, when I responded, when the vendor was contacted, and when the work was completed. California law requires certain repairs within specific timeframes, and you need to be able to prove compliance.
Notices delivered two ways. Door delivery plus email. Take a photo of the posted notice on the door with a timestamp. Belt and suspenders.
Theresa's point about not overcomplicating it is valid, but I'd push back slightly. Simple works until it doesn't. The one time you need documentation in a dispute or eviction hearing, "I think I have that email somewhere" isn't good enough. A little extra organization upfront saves enormous headaches later.
The key is making documentation automatic, not optional. If it requires a separate manual step every time, you'll eventually skip it when you're busy. Build it into the workflow so it just happens.
Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2024 · 129 posts · 36 votes
3mo
I self-manage 4 units in Sacramento and this was one of the first things I had to get right. My system:
Every tenant request goes through one channel — no texts, no random phone calls. I use an app with a maintenance portal so tenants submit with photos attached. This alone cut my "he said, she said" problems in half.
I timestamp everything — when it was reported, when I acknowledged it, when the vendor showed up, and when it was resolved. California has specific response timelines for habitability issues, so having dates saved my neck once when a tenant tried to claim I ignored a plumbing leak.
Photos before and after every repair. I learned this the hard way during a move-out dispute. The tenant said the damage was pre-existing — I had no photos to prove otherwise. Now it's non-negotiable.
I keep a running log per unit, not per tenant. When someone moves out, I still have the full repair history for that unit, which is gold for budgeting cap-ex.
After a little while, I created a platform https://leasebase.ai that does all the manual work for me.
What's your biggest headache — getting tenants to actually report things properly, or keeping your own records organized?
Real Estate Agent · Memphis · Member since 2026 · 555 posts · 320 votes
3mo
Keeping everything in one place has probably been the biggest help for me. I try to document every maintenance request, conversation, notice, and photo as it happens rather than trying to piece it together later.
For property issues, I'll usually save photos, keep a simple timeline of events, and note any communication with the tenant or vendor. It doesn't have to be complicated, but having a consistent process makes a huge difference if questions come up later.
The biggest lesson for me has been that good documentation isn't really about expecting problems—it's about making it easy to resolve them when they happen.
Specialist · Goa, India · Member since 2026 · 175 posts · 36 votes
3mo
@James Jones and @Rachid Abadli both landed on the key insight — documentation only works when it's automatic, not when it depends on remembering to do it after a busy day.
The single channel point is underrated. Most self-managing landlords lose documentation not because they're disorganized, but because tenant communication is coming in from three directions — text, email, WhatsApp — and nothing connects. When every request comes through one dedicated channel and gets auto-logged with a timestamp, the paper trail builds itself.
The operators who have the cleanest records usually aren't more disciplined — they just built a system that doesn't rely on discipline.
For anyone still routing tenant communication through a personal number — what's the main thing stopping you from switching to a dedicated channel?
Most of the documentation systems people describe here hold up fine once something's actually in the folder. The leak tends to be upstream: a request comes in as a text or a call, gets re-typed later from memory, and the timeline is the first thing to blur. Where does a request first land for you before it becomes a documented record, and how much gets lost on the way there?
I’ve actually been thinking about this a lot as a landlord. Once you have multiple properties, it’s really easy for maintenance requests and tenant messages to get scattered between texts, calls, and emails.
I’ve been working on a tool called Landlord Ally that helps centralize that communication and organize maintenance requests so things don’t fall through the cracks.
Still building it out, so I’m curious to hear how other landlords handle it. Do you have a specific system you use, or is it mostly just keeping up with everything as it comes in?