• Rental Property Investor
  • Douglas County, MO
Votes |
Periodic inspections for SFR

Sylvia B.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Douglas County, MO
Posted Jul 8 2014, 07:41

I want to keep a close eye on my properties, but at the same time, I don't want to annoy my tenants. I'd like to develop a standard checklist that I use quarterly or biannually at each property, but I'm not quite sure where to start.

Here is my current situation. We own 5 rentals, all are single family homes. 

Property 1 has been rented 2 years to someone we know personally. It is located at the end of our driveway, so we go past it twice a day.

Property 2 has been rented since Jan. 1 of this year. We have been to the house almost every month for minor maintenance issues, but no formal inspection.

Property 3 was rented May 25, and there are a few things that we are still finishing on the rehab list, mostly exterior. Should be done with those this week.

Property 4 was purchased last month and is in the middle of rehab. It should be ready to rent around Aug. 1.

Property 5 is a long term rehab that is being worked on as we have time. It is currently down to the studs, and our only time schedule for it is to finish before the end of the year.

We have been working at our properties so often that we really haven't felt the need for periodic inspections, but we know that if we don't get ourselves on a schedule we will neglect this necessary chore. So what do you inspect when conducting an inspection on SFRs? Do you have a checklist?

Loading replies...