Beginner looking for good landlord books

13 Replies

Hey all,

I am totally new to real estate investing.  I live at the South Jersey Shore area (just outside AC) and want to get into renting out properties for income, while building value in them.

Does anyone have any good book recommendations on how to be a landlord, what I'm getting myself into (the lifestyle, if it can be something I can manage if I have to relocate) and how to form a good business plan going in so I'm making money instead of losing it and getting into a headache.

Thanks in advance!

Hey Ian,

There are quite a few articles that have the best real estate books. Here are some links:

http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/04/14...

http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/10/14...

I would browse through the ones that deal with the topics you are looking for.

2 that are mentioned in these posts and that I have personally read are Landlording on Autopilot and What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know About Cashflow. They should both provide a sound foundation for you to then go dig deeper and grow in your real estate literacy.

Best of luck to you.

Originally posted by @Ian Fenwick:

Hey all,

I am totally new to real estate investing.  I live at the South Jersey Shore area (just outside AC) and want to get into renting out properties for income, while building value in them.

Does anyone have any good book recommendations on how to be a landlord, what I'm getting myself into (the lifestyle, if it can be something I can manage if I have to relocate) and how to form a good business plan going in so I'm making money instead of losing it and getting into a headache.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to BP Ian,

Although not directly RE related I believe they are the best 2 books an entrepreneur should read.

Thinks and Grow Rich

How to Win Friends and Influence People

Thanks and have a great day.

Medium list n sell logo designEngelo Rumora, List'n Sell Realty | [email protected] | 419 740 6999 | https://agentscomefirst.com/ | Podcast Guest on Show #89

@Ian F.  

The local affordable housing office in your area probably has a class available.

Paul

Wow thanks for all the great info everyone!  I'll make sure I check out all those resources.  I have  a lot of reading ahead of me haha.

I am in NJ as well, 40 minutes from Atlantic City, I would suggest going back and listening to the podcasts from 1 to the current one. Great luck!

You can find an answer to any question you may have on being a landlord here on BP. Ask away.  I like Landlording on Autopilot book also. Good Luck !

Mark Langdon, Langdon Properties | [email protected] | (973) 602‑7125 | http://langdonproperties.net

A must have one

Landlording: A Handymanual for Scrupulous Landlords and Landladies Who Do It Themselves by Leigh Robinson

@Mark Langdon  I actually just bought that book off amazon after reading through the recommended reading list.

I think I'll give that book about scrupulous landlording a read too, afterwards.

@Greg Wake  Thanks, I'll give them a listen.

Also, nice to meet all of you.  I'm really amazed at how helpful this community is!

@Ian F.  

The best landlording book is "Landlording" by Leigh Robinson.  He also has a web site.  He's sold like 400,000 copies and it is the all time best selling landlording book in history.

I echo David Krulac about Leigh Robinson's landlording book.

For high-end property management: David Tilney's course

For low-end properties, "Fixer" Jay Decima

There are other books on rental strategy and mindset. John Schaub is a friend of mine who has written several great books in the topic. There are others, too.

Also, my personal favorite: Mike Cantu's Rental Management book and CD's (I sell Mike's course on my website because I'm so impressed by it).

Hello Ian, I picked up a good book from my library. It's a Nolo series about landlord tenant law and is specific to NJ. I apologize for not knowing the exact title but it can be found at Nolo.com

Best of luck!

Hi @Ian F.  . I read a copule of realestste books but most of the info there is just fluff. The podcasts here on BP are a weath of practical information on the other hand. I would deffinetely recommend starting with those. 

Regards,

Felix