eviction cost

21 Replies

my lawyer intially said his cost is $500, but just got billed for

add'l fees  for filing, etc, and the total  is $975 !!

what is the typical cost for evictions these days? does this seem unusually high? i'm in NY---thanks.

my evictions cost me 77 bucks, accounting for mailings, parking etc, figure 100 total. Baltimore md

If you use an attorney it will cost around $800 - $900.  They include their fees plus processing fees and court costs.

Originally posted by @Marc Stein:

my lawyer intially said his cost is $500, but just got billed for

add'l fees  for filing, etc, and the total  is $975 !!

what is the typical cost for evictions these days? does this seem unusually high? i'm in UPSTATE NY---thanks.

SEth--is that because you do it yourself? doe s

it always work out for you that  w ay?

I'm in the same area as Seth so it's $77 for me also. It's not difficult to do at all. I can't imagine it costs anywhere near $500 yet alone $900+ to do an eviction in your area.

In NJ, LLCs must be represented by an attorney. My attorney specializes in evictions and charges about $300 all told. If there is more than one court appearance required, it's about another $100. Totally worthwhile. In FL, I fill out all the paperwork and my contractor serves the notice and brings all the paperwork to court. When the eviction is granted, he takes the writ of possession to the sheriff to file for removal. I pay him for his time, plus the court fees. About $400 for all of it. Quotes from attorneys in FL for eviction can get up to $900. 

why the difference of 500 between fla. and n.j.?

cost me 900 here in NY but i'm going to argue with him about the fee.

I'm going through the process now unfortunately, and total cost to me through my attorney is $220. That's for everything: filing docs with the court, process server, appearance fee in court.  This is in Rochester, NY.

I'm also going through the process right now, also in Rochester, NY.  My costs thus far are $285 for the one adult, and it would be an additional $20 for each additional occupant for 18.  

@Mark W.  and @David Stott  , can you send me a message with the names of the attorneys you are using?  I may be in need at some point.  I'm also in Rochester.  

Originally posted by @Tara Piantanida-Kelly:

@Mark W.  and @David Stott  , can you send me a message with the names of the attorneys you are using?  I may be in need at some point.  I'm also in Rochester.  

I would also like to know who you are using just in case. I am in Rochester too.

Originally posted by @Frank Dimino:
Originally posted by @Tara Piantanida-Kelly:

I would also like to know who you are using just in case. I am in Rochester too.

Me too!!

i really feel ripped off now!

I'm also in Rochester, and my attorney (Steve Pheterson-who's very well known in Rochester) cost $300 for the one eviction I've had.

$78 for one tenant, $97 for two (I do this myself as it's easy in my county).  Oh yeah, a business size envelope and a stamp.  $25 more for the cost of the Marshall if we end up doing the actual set out.

Gail

Originally posted by @Aly L:

In NJ, LLCs must be represented by an attorney. My attorney specializes in evictions and charges about $300 all told. If there is more than one court appearance required, it's about another $100. Totally worthwhile. In FL, I fill out all the paperwork and my contractor serves the notice and brings all the paperwork to court. When the eviction is granted, he takes the writ of possession to the sheriff to file for removal. I pay him for his time, plus the court fees. About $400 for all of it. Quotes from attorneys in FL for eviction can get up to $900. 

does your lawyer work in essex county???

Since the only evictions I've had to perform were on properties owned in an LLC, I've had to use an attorney according to state law. It typically costs $250.00 for the attorney to file, appear in court and apply for possession. It's an additional fee if I've gone as far as needing the Sheriff for lockout ($75-$100). In some instances I've filed myself ($29.00) and then just arranged for the attorney to represent me in court. This has not been an issue since he's typically there anyhow representing other clients. When I've done the filing he charges me $150.00 so I save about $55.00 when you include the parking fee for filing at the court house. Not really worth it when you consider the time involved running tot he county court house, but I have found when I do it myself I seem get my court date quicker.

@Rah-sheen Blalock  my evictions are in Essex County.  PM me if you need the name of an attorney.

The last eviction I did only cost $85, but that was in Lexington Co., SC.  If I remember correctly, the whole process was completed in about two weeks.  Unfortunately, the real cost of an eviction is much higher, a month's lost rent & potential damages beyond what the security deposit covers.  I had one eviction where the tenants left about 4 days before the eviction was finalized, the power had been turned off which lead to all the food in the fridge rotting.  Cost us the month's lost rent, carpet cleaning, 3 rounds with the exterminator, a bunch of cleaning cost, then another month of vacancy after we got the place cleanded up.

Originally posted by @Mark W. :

I'm going through the process now unfortunately, and total cost to me through my attorney is $220. That's for everything: filing docs with the court, process server, appearance fee in court.  This is in Rochester, NY.

Hi Mark,

My name is Brooke and I own a rental property in Rochester, NY. I live above my tenant and I have made the biggest mistake of my life! Can you please give me the contact info to the attorney you used. From the repairs I am going to have to make to the apartment and the lack of rent, $220 is about all I can afford to pay right now to get the eviction done correctly through an attorney. Any info you can give would be greatly appreciated! Thank You! Brooke

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here