Property managers that only do maintenance & repair?

5 Replies

Hi everyone!

I'm seeking recommendations for a property manager for 3 single family homes rented to pretty stable tenants.

Is there a category of property managers that only do maintenance and repair, and not leasing, rent collection, evictions, etc?

I live a few hours away from my 2 properties, so going to the homes myself is pretty painful.

Thanks in advance!

- Horace

Originally posted by @Horace Brand:

Is there a category of property managers that only do maintenance and repair, and not leasing, rent collection, evictions, etc?

Horace:

We call them handymen( or woman). 

Medium greenapartmenthires 1024x1024Roy N., Louer Louer Ltd. | 1.506.471.4126

Hah yes, I meant are there property management companies that exclusively find and manage handymen for my units? I find that part most painful and difficult to do remotely.

I would find my own - consult BP members close to your properties; local REIA; contact HD or Lowes contractor desk, or {shudder} Angie's list. Why pay the overhead to a PM company to essentially mark-up invoices and pass them along to you?

Medium greenapartmenthires 1024x1024Roy N., Louer Louer Ltd. | 1.506.471.4126

Originally posted by @Horace Brand:

Hah yes, I meant are there property management companies that exclusively find and manage handymen for my units? I find that part most painful and difficult to do remotely.

At the end of the day you're going to have to manage somebody or something. If you want a handy man then it's best that you find and manage a handyman. Everybody is going to want to be paid so if you want to hire a management company that manages a handyman you're going to be paying for both and at the end of the day you're still going to have to manage one or the other. 

Just find yourself a local handyman or 2 that you can call when you need something done. 

I would call licensed contractors in the area. If they don't do handyman work themselves, they should be able to refer someone to you. That's how I found my handyman.