Garbage disposal - necessity or nuisance that keeps breaking down?

Garbage disposal - necessity or nuisance that keeps breaking down?

Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2012 · 309 posts · 18 votes

Hey guys!

I reviewed PM's statement and found 185$ charge for fixing a garbage disposal. Is garbage disposal something that will benefit the landlord in the long run (i.e. prevention of clogged pipes), or should we WITH THE FUTURE TENANTS include a contingency in the lease that "you are welcome to use garbage disposal until it breaks down, upon which there will be a removal of the garbage disposal without an installation of a new one". So the next tenant can use it up until it breaks down THEN WE REMOVE IT AND ELIMINATE any expense associated with it! 

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

2Reply
130 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Douglas County, MO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y

Our plumber says he LOVES rental houses with garbage disposals! 

There are none in our houses.

See this reply in the discussion

34 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @L K.  I don't know about Texas, but in every state that I've property there was no state law requiring them.  I dis-install disposals on all units with septic systems always.  Other places sometimes, but I usually install in flips, properties selling, and luxury units where expected.

  • Investor · Stevens Point, WI · Member since 2018 · 88 posts · 25 votes
    8y

    I can see both sides of the argument to have them and remove them. They certainly are nicer for tenants, and more costly for landlords.

    Has anyone ever considered putting it in their lease that says the unit has a working disposal? At the end of the lease it must have a working disposal or it will come out of the security deposit. Any repairs or clogs during the lease are the responsibility of the tenant.

    Wouldn't that take the potential economic risk off the landlord while giving the tenant something many desire?

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Jason Bilbrey

    More risks than the cost of a $90 garbage disposal.  Depending what is put down a disposal, you could kill a septic system, cause plumbing clog, etc.  A septic might cost $20,000 and may not be discovered until the occupant is long gone, try and collect on that one.

  • Investor · Stevens Point, WI · Member since 2018 · 88 posts · 25 votes
    8y

    @David Ok, then for units with septic remove them, but for units that don't have septic, can you think of any other downsides? I think the people advocating that people could clog pipes without a garbage disposal is a valid argument too. People have clauses in their leases against that, why not expand that to the garbage disposal too?

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Abuse, not needed in basic units imho, we only provide as I said before in flip, units being sold or luxury units.  We've had bottle caps, other metal objects, paper (its not a shedder, but some don't get that concept and thing anything can go in the disposal)  bottles, dirty diapers, non disposable wiped, female product, paint, motor oil, chemicals, gasoline, trupentine, paint thinner, kerosine........

  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2017 · 29 posts · 25 votes
    8y
    @Edita D. As a contractor I get calls for disposals not working due to foreign objects quite a bit. I’m not sure they will help or hurt with clogged pipes. Usually when I get a call for a clogged pipe it’s due to grease so disposal or not would not help. I like your idea of wording in your lease that they can use it but they fix it if broken and I may add that to my leases. On my properties I have some with disposals and some without. My latest project is a duplex and I did not install disposals in either unit.
  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    Out of 8 years of having rentals with disposals in every unit, I've had one break down once. It was old - wear and tear. I've had a few jam from time to time but I can talk the tenants through how to use the allen wrench to unjam them over the phone.  Eventually when the others start to die I will replace them - super easy/cheap when there was already one there.

  • Investor · Stevens Point, WI · Member since 2018 · 88 posts · 25 votes
    8y

    @Max T. - Thanks for sharing you're experience.

    Based on everyone's feedback, I'm going to install a garbage disposal in some of my units and then update my leases with verbiage that indicates they are responsible for fixing any issues with them, and that they were working when they moved in (or when the unit was installed), and that they must be working when they move out or they are responsible.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.