• Investor
  • Central Valley, CA
Votes |
Berkeley Illegal Unit/Legal Help Needed

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Central Valley, CA
Posted Jan 6 2015, 19:44

Hoping that someone here can recommend legal or consulting help for a tenant situation in a rent-controlled unit in Berkeley. My daughter has been renting a studio in a 5-unit converted SFH for the past four years. Conversion of the SFH to 5 units was in 1950. Current owners have owned since 1995. Rent control board has always had the unit on record as a studio, under rent control and with its current rent ceiling. Turns out the city has been battling with the landlords for years, as the 1950 conversion allowed for 4 units only. The landlords have finally accepted defeat and have told my daughter that they need to demo the kitchen and add the studio to the adjacent 4BDR unit. They have put nothing in writing and are fishing to see if she will go without a fuss. The landlords live across the street and are part of a large family rental business with 1000+ doors.

Per Berkeley laws, my daughter may be entitled to a buyout and/or relocation funds for the conversion/demo of the unit.  She may be entitled to a similar lease in one of the landlord's other units. She may be entitled to a refund of all the rent paid to date, as there are strict laws about tenancy in illegal units.  Any legal referrals or other recommended resources would be most appreciated.  Thanks!

@J. Martin Know anyone in Berkeley?

Loading replies...