Advise Needed About Tenant

17 Replies

The management office sent this message to me:

"The tenant is very nice person and she is trying to get caught up on the rent. Right now she owe $3,930 in past due rent. She calls every week and says she is sending a payment through and she is very sporatic. I just found out today that her water bill is at $1,098.66. I have real concerns whether she can continue to afford this property. I'm becoming concerned that she may never catch up.

It may be time to evict and find someone who can afford the property. What is your thought?"

Please, I nedd advise for this problem. 

Thanks.

Originally posted by @Ali ALJOHANI:

The management office sent this message to me:

"The tenant is very nice person and she is trying to get caught up on the rent. Right now she owe $3,930 in past due rent. She calls every week and says she is sending a payment through and she is very sporatic. I just found out today that her water bill is at $1,098.66. I have real concerns whether she can continue to afford this property. I'm becoming concerned that she may never catch up.

It may be time to evict and find someone who can afford the property. What is your thought?"

Please, I need advise for this problem. 

Thanks.

Unbelievable! Obviously you need to replace the person in the management office with someone who knows how to do the job! Has no one given the tenant a legal notice to "Pay Rent or Quit" (or the equivalent for your jurisdiction)? 

Arrange a face to face meeting with the tenant as soon as possible. Address the issue swiftly, firmly, fairly, and politely. Let her know, "If you can't fulfill your responsibilities as per the rental agreement, we will need to ask you to leave." Serve the legal notice and also give her a list of community resources that may be able to help her get caught up with the rent, pay her utility bills, or help her to move. Let her know, "If you can't pay the rent and utilities, it is time we work on a move-out plan." Do what you can to get her to leave without needing to file for eviction with the court. But if she can't or won't do what she needs to do, then follow through with the eviction.

Boots on the ground!

Start Eviction NOW!!!!!!!

Being nice doesn't matter run a business!

I would also FIRE that manager NOW! They should never have allowed it to get that bad.

Giving management responsibility to an agent does not relieve you of the responsibility to oversee your investment. You should be receiving and reviewing a monthly report on all your tenants. Definitely, fire the agent and evict the tenant.

Ralph Taylor

This company sounds totally incompetent. I really don't know who is worse in this situation. Unbelievable!

John Thedford, Real Estate Agent in FL (#BK3098153)

Start the eviction ASAP!!!! The tenant will probably never catch up. 

Nice guy=smaller pockets!

If this is a licensed property manager that you have a management contract with, read your contract with him very carefully to make sure you know exactly what you agreed to. Not sure how it got that bad without you being aware that you were not receiving rents from this tenant.  If you knew about it and allowed it, then have your manager start proper procedures for eviction immediately, take it as an expensive lesson and hope you get some relief in court, however unlikely.   

My manager would notify me to request permission to NOT issue timely pay or quit notice (a good tenant requested a 2 week late payment due to change in employment, and I allowed it.)  Otherwise, proper notice is sent first day it is allowed, then they contact me to see how I want to proceed.  (I prefer to try to bargain with the tenant by giving some of their security deposit back if they leave quickly without problems before it is used up in back rent owed.)  I would send a written request that he document he has followed proper procedures, when pay or quit notice was issued, etc.   If he did not follow proper procedures without getting your consent to wait, I'd find out my rights as far as firing him, starting eviction on the tenant, and also if I had any recourse against his management company.    

Many localities charge an unpaid water bill to the owner of the home or make it a lien on the property, so check to make sure you are not responsible for the water bill as well and make certain you are adding that into arrears if you will be responsible for it.    

What is the lease term on this property?  Do you not get statements or monthly disbursements as the owner?  I am reading this as if this delinquency is new information to you.

I think you have two things to replace.  First, the tenant.  Second, the management company.

Chris Simmons

Why are you reading this?! Evict the tenant, and fire the manager! I'd also look into getting the manager to pay a portion of the delinquency due to failure to provide adequate service (look into your contract first).

Bryan O.

Landlord/owner of record is almost Always responsible for water...if the tenant doesn't pay, the landlord must pay, no matter who's name it is in (as opposed to other utilities like electric).

Find a new management company right away! Start eviction process. You don't run your business on pixie dust and cupcakes, so it doesn't matter how "nice" the tenant is, if they run up utilities on you, you may end up having to pay a lot more at the end to clear the account.

Elizabeth Colegrove
      Thank you for your advice.
        @Lynn M. :

Thank you for taking the time to share all of that great information with me.

@John Thedford , Bob Bowling, Jewrel Rudolph, Chris Simmons, Bryan Otteson, Nancy Curran, and Diya Sharp

Thank you for your response. I really appreciate the advice you have given me.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.